cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tweaks

Community Veteran

Tweaks

Oh Dear, the forums have all gone very quiet again. Perhaps it's the new year blues, or just that everyone has gone over to the Plusnet forums. I hope not. Cool

Well just to get the ball rolling, I'm sure that this has all been answered elsewhere, but is there any real benefit to me if I tweak my internet settings? You know change the MTU settings and so on? Not that I've got a clue what any of it is, but I'm interested in improving my connection if it's worth the effort. I don't want to spend hours, only to increase my speed by a couple of bits per second.

Happy new year Wink

John
4 REPLIES
N/A

Tweaks

My answer is that, ultimately, only you can answer that question, because it depends on the type of person you are!

If I'm squeezing juice out of an orange, I might well be happy once I've extracted a certain amount. A second person, seeing the husks I've finished with, might well say, "No! There's still more in there!" and will huff and puff and succeed in getting a bit more. Was it worth the effort? To him it might well have been; others won't be bothered.

If, on the other hand, you have a 512kbps connection and you're only getting traditional modem speeds or worse, then it's a different matter -- clearly the system has much better potential than that. But that's not in the category of "tweaks".

So, to put it another way -- what are you getting already? Is there much scope for bettering that? Would you consider it worth it?
Community Veteran

Tweaks

OK

According to the FOL speed test, I get around 468 kbps, although ADSLGuide makes it closer to 458kbps. Mostly I'm reasonably happy with my speeds, although when I went to ADSL about a year ago, the speeds I was getting were quicker ( around 495 and often over 500kbps!)

As I say, I'm reasonably happy most of the time, but if I could get the speeds back in the 490's I'd be even happier :twisted:

John
N/A

Tweaks

Don't quote me on this but i'm pretty sure that FOL posted something a while ago about BT altering there setup so there was no longer a need to alter ur MTU, I could be wrong though.

Platty
N/A

Tweaks

You're right, they did, but anyone interested in getting every last drop of performance from their connection would do well to look at the MTU Tweak topic over on the PlusNet forum (use the guest account if you haven't registered a PlusNet account of your own).