cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tropical Fish, what do you think to these creatures then?

N/A

Well,

I am looking at relaxing things a little. I have had a tank for a while with some nice fish in it.
I deliberately got it as I find them nice and relaxing and in my office it adds some colour to it all.

So is anyone else interested in tropical fish or do you find them relaxing and fascinating?

I am looking at starting a website and adding info to it, such as types of fish, their tendacies and so forth and perhaps even get round to making a log on how to setup your very own aquarium.
Just wondering if its something that would go down well in the community or if its something no-one really cares about?

Regards,
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Tropical fish you'd best ask Tony ;-) :p
Community Veteran

Re: Tropical Fish, what do you think to these creatures then

So is anyone else interested in tropical fish or do you find them relaxing and fascinating?

I used to have a large setup with tropical fish, and I did find it both relaxing and to an extent fascinating to watch.
However on the obverse, I also found it expensive and hard work to keep it tip top. I ultimately gave it up and got a cat! Tongue :lol:
N/A

I find it fairly easy to maintain the tank.
I also have a kitten who finds the fish equally as fascinating.

I say Seventhstar, would you think there is a interested to be had in making such a site? Or would you even be willing to perhaps share some knowledge?

Regards,
Community Veteran

Tropical fish are very nice and indeed relaxing to sit and watch.
You can even get quite fond of them but they do take a fair bit of looking after depending on what breeds you have.

I had a tank for years but gave up after I traded some of the guppies that had breed in the tank with our local (Large and well known) tropical and saltwater fish supplier. Got a couple of young Malaysian Angel fish but they were deseased and it infected the whole tank killing off everything.

You just have to be very careful adding anything new and they really need to be put in a "quarantine tank" for a week or so before adding to the main tank.

Also do a bit of reading up on what can live with what or you may find you have one or two large fat fish that have eaten the rest . Sad
Community Veteran

I say Seventhstar
"Whats that old chap"? </1950 stereotypical english gent accent> :lol:

would you think there is a interested to be had in making such a site?

I don't know if there would be much interest tbh fella. However I do know that I myself am "over it", and not going there again. ^^

Or would you even be willing to perhaps share some knowledge?

Most of what I learned back when I kept them is lost I'm afraid Sad Due to a degenerative condition I suffer.
(Or in other words, I degenerated into a forgetful old fart! Tongue :lol: )

You can even get quite fond of them

Pervert! Tongue

Yer I had a very similar total loss experiance twice Jon! Sad Second time was the worst, because I felt I had done all I could to get it right. We lost hundereds and hundereds of ££££ ker-ching.
Another point; snuggling up with them on the sofa just doesn't cut the mustard compared with a kitten! Smiley lol.

(<Dissclaimer> Appologies to Tom for bringing this thread down to my level, with gratuitous use of smillies Tongue )
N/A

No problems Ian Sad

I was needing a little bit of a project and perhaps some interest and knowledge in areas to suit.

As for Johns remarks errr hmm, fond as in interesting perhaps but nothing more sensual lol

At the moment my tank plays home to only a few fish;

1 x Red Finned Shark
5 x Neons ( 2 hiding I am presuming )
2 x Ass Balloon Mollies
2x Tiger Barbs
1 x Green Puffer fish
1 x Pleco

Thats about it at the moment. But I am planning on buying some glas and making a custom tank along with a cabinet to then house more Smiley
N/A

i have kept fish for years tom, got loads of tanks all different sizes about 1000liters in all,
the tropical fish site idea is one i have thought about in the past but i am a member on a couple of good ones already and anything i did just wolud not compete have a look here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?act=idx

i could talk for hrs about fish and gladly will but i am currently falling asleep at the pc so i am going to have to go to bed, tomorrow i'll try and post a few images and tell you a little more about some of my best fish
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Tom
I kept tropical fish for a very long time (bout eight years) to the point of obsession having three four foot tanks and three two foot tanks in my sitting room

the upkeep on that lot was however expensive and very time consuming so when i moved house they had to go but i really enjoyed keeping them and have had so many different varieties they are all very interesting to watch with there own little quirks and ways depending on the breed and of course as you know are very relaxing too, the time money and effort i spent was more than worth it for what i got out of it, i also did some custom tank building too with some success im pleased to say although i did have a couple of leakages

ive recently got back into it though keeping just a few in a small tank mainly tetra`s (5 red belly`s & 10 neons) also a couple of speckled catfish a loach or two and a pleco, i had forgotten just how relaxing and soothing they are to just sit and watch and i can spend ages doing just that

i dont know if there would be the interest in what your thinking of doing or not but there are thousands of tropical fish keepers out there so you never know it could take off in a big way

if you do go ahead with it and need some help advice or whatever ill be more than happy to help you out as its a brilliant hobby to have and a project like that i think is a great idea

Bill.
N/A

Hi Tony and Bill,

Tony,
I was told further up you would be a fanatic with fish Smiley and that you would be able to talk for hours. I hope that we can have a chat some time ( I am a little of a beginner and most of my knowledge comes from the net, like with everyone lol ), but please take it easy on me.

Bill,

I to think it is a good hobby and a good idea. Saying this my problem has always been the time and basically me being one bod. What I have found disheartening in the past is the lack of visitors and so I really felt as though I got nothing in return for what I had done.
Perhaps I will run you over some Ideas I have and see what you think ? I have to admit I am not thinking of the most conventional way of doing things ( IE static html pages and so forth ) but I am planning on using a CMS which would allow the community to also post articles in a nice looking easy to follow atmosphere with perhaps a forum on the back seat for people to have discussions in and general advise if things do or should go wrong.

Regards,
holdtight
Grafter

What I have found disheartening in the past is the lack of visitors and so I really felt as though I got nothing in return for what I had done.

Tom
I do understand how disheartening and frustrating it is to get very few visitors to your sites but thats just the nature of the beast so to speak and i think if you believe in something keep at it

I use the same fish forum as Tony linked to further up which is a huge source of information and advice which started from small beginings so nothings impossible

As your idea / plan for a site and forum goes i still think its a good one and i would definately be keen to look over any ideas you have already

Bill.

ps
Just added a pair of Gold Honey Gourami`s too, very nice peacful fish Cheesy
N/A

Bill,

What would be ideal for me is to be able to have a couple of good soles who are willing to be part of this project.

The vast amount of information I will be showing will be sourced from the net and then a few comments of my own, as and where I am able to comment.

To be able to have a couple of experienced keepers onboard such as yourself and Tony would be great as this would bring a vast array of personal experience as well as that of what animals have been known to be like ( if you follow my meaning ).

So what do you say? Would you be willing to take part in something small which in turn would hopefully turn into something much larger?

Regards,
Community Veteran

What would be ideal for me is to be able to have a couple of good soles who are willing to be part of this project.

Sole is a salt water fish I think Tom Smiley
Community Veteran

mmm.... lemon sole goujions
N/A

Chris,

LMAO. Ok I got that one either wrong or right depending on my intentions Wink

Let me rephrase this to Soul's as in the human kind with 8 fingers, 2 thumbs and a good head for thinking. lol.

Regards,