Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools For Websites?

Kyuuketsuki
Dabbler

Tools For Websites?

Hi,

I'm new to Force 9 but not to websites ... I've maintained one for a fair few years (http://www.uktech.org.uk now hosted at F9). So (obviously) I've sussed the FTP bit ... what I want to know now is what else does F9 offer for websites apart from basic web site hosting. I'm interested in what I can do with CGI, forums if any are available, SQL (F9 seems to provide MySQL), Frontpage extensions (probably won't be using that because I'm trying to switch away from MS to open source stuff), address books, counters.

I'm considering using some portal software which, I think, requires PHP and some other stuff ... could that be done from F9?

Anyway ... thanks for any replies anyone cares to give :-)

James
3 REPLIES
N/A

Tools For Websites?

Hi there,

If you take a look at wbsite settings ( <---under my account on the left there) then you will be able to see the different services on offer. They do, however, need to be activated and tend to take a few working days to become available.

This includes: Front page extensions, MySQL, CGI webspace (on a diferent server, but you can get F9 to point your domain to it by default - www - if you wish, or just access it by using cgi.yourdmoain.co.uk - but again needs enabling by f9), and for your personal use there are advanced webstats.

CGI webspace you can use PHP, perl, CGI scripts. There are website counter scripts freely available on the web that you can use on your webspace. I personally link my php programs to a MySQL table and use the data in there to produce a counter. You can only use HTML webpages (i.e. no php, MySQL etc) on the normal homepages webspace. When your CGI space is enabled the address to FTP/http to is cgi.yourusername.force9.co.uk, unless you have got f9 to enable your domain for use on the cgi server (as I explained above).

Hope that helps! - tired so may not make a whole lot of sense, feel free to ask questions!

Jarv
Kyuuketsuki
Dabbler

Tools For Websites?

Thanks Jarvis ... I will check that stuff out :-)
N/A

Tools For Websites?

np Wink