cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This week really tested me

N/A

About 2 months ago I was changing a heatsink and my cpu pins bent, I panicked and ordered a new cpu, a friend came to my rescue and bent the pins back and the cpu worked happily again. I contacted the company I'd ordered the cpu from and organised an rma claiming that I'd bought it in error, I saw no problem with this as it was unopened, unused etc. They agreed and I had my dad send it back. Two weeks ago I ordered some ram and I fitted it really excited that I would finally have a gig of ram and of course it didn't work it was a doa. I contacted the company who sent me it, a different company this time and they gave me the rma so I went to the post office and returned that too.
This week I began to worry that I had heard nothing from either company with regard to the returned items. I contacted both and was informed that neither parcel had arrived and I was asked if I could provide a tracking number. Having talked to my dad it became evident that he had sent the parcel back first class as had I. SO both parcels were uninsured. Which basically means I can't do anything at all, I can't get refunds because the parcels never made it and I can't claim off Royal Mail because they can't track the parcels and they were uninsured and well they don't care its just one parcel of thousands transported every day.

I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to how i could possibly get some kind of result from what I can only see to be a 200 pound loss, meaning that I worked all week for a balance of 20 pounds :p

Another thing that concerns me is that any online computer company could pretend that they didn't receive any number of parcels that were sent back to them knowing that there is nothing that the consumer can do about it. Any uninsured unsigned for parcel that arrives could be classed as a non arrival and the customer palmed off with a 'talk to your courier' e-mail. This could just be me being paranoid though. Any thoughts ?
6 REPLIES
rz2k7
Grafter

I don't think you're going to have much chance of getting anything back.
I've rma'd items to online stores before and they usually state in their returns procdure to send items so that they can be tracked. i.e 1st class recorded (which is signed for and can be tracked) or Special delivery (which is tracked and insured). 1st class is good enough for sending letters but thats all.

It seems the mail isn't as trusting as it used to be. A few years back i "stupidly" sent a birthday card with money in it. It arrived opened with the money missing, I complained and all i got was a pen!

You could "try" and get Royal Mail to investigate, but i think you're going to have suffer this time and learn from your (expensive) mistake like i've done!
LiamM
Grafter

Certainly if you didn't send the items back by recorded delivery or special delivery there is little you can do. Standard mail is uninsured. Recorded doesn't cost much extra to send and is trackable, insured and is signed for. Special Delivery can be quite expensive depending on weight and guarantees next day delivery by 1pm.

Sounds like your at a loss here mate. I would write to the Royal Mail and see if there is *anything* they can do, but I would imagine you'll get a similar response.
Community Veteran

What Liam says is basically correct. Insurance on first or second class items is to a maximum of £28, there is no other arguments or give and take from the post office on this. This is the same for recorded delivery, the only benefit of these is that you know if the supplier has recievied the items back.

Special delivery is the only options for insured mail (over £2Cool, or you can use Standard Parcels service, ideal for large items but they normally take 5 days. They provide a tracking number but no signiture is required. They also allow you to insure items over £28 in value, but its a lot cheaper than special delivery.

Chris
LiamM
Grafter

IIRC Chris, you can pay extra for extra insurance on Recorded delivery can't you?
Community Veteran

Nope.

Also you will need a proof of postage certificate / recorded delivery receipt for putting in a claim with the post office.
N/A

thanks for the feedback people, I guess I'll have to stop being a cheapskate Cheesy