cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This maybe a stupid question but.....

N/A

I have adsl do i have to have an "active" telephone line for this, I ask this because i am paying rental charrged for a telephone line that i never use. So the question is if i have my line diconected will i still be able to get online. I undertand that with a dial up connection the answer is obvious but as adsl does not actually tie up my tel line do i really need it?Huh
4 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Phone Line & ADSL

Hi,
The answer to your question is that with ADSL the phone line for voice calls and the ADSL data channel travel across the same physical copper phone lines. Voice & data along 1 cable/wire.

So if your phone line (voice calls) are disconnected so would your ADSL service. Think of it this way 1 wire provides x3 channels at different frequencies, 1 for your broadband uplink (outbound connection) 1 for your broadband downlink (inbound), and finally 1 for voice/telephone calls. But as I said before its over one phone line. Disconnection will loose the whole service to you.

Rememeber that old telephone wires were not designed for ADSL this is a recent development in technology that allows us to have this clever service.

Best Regards Ivan
N/A

germinus1

I think this is one for BT. In short, you need the phone active to get ADSL. For ADSL, at your local exchange, BT connect the physical wires that runs to your building to a DSLAM for ADSL, then on to an exchange wiring frame (connecting to System X or Y) for voice. Theoretically you don't need the voice part, however, BT may require you to have a voice service to track that the wires are in use by you, as well as testing the line is working and providing line repair services. I suggest you speak to BT and ask what the cheapest service you can have on it is - it could be something like the 'Light User Scheme'.

Regards

Neil
N/A

Hi,

Unfortunately BT don't allow you to have ADSL if you're on the light-user scheme or any access to 0808 numbers thus preventing dial-up internet access. There are a few other restrictions involved as well, it's basically designed for emergency usage only.
N/A

Wow ,

Thanks so much for all your input, atleast i know now that BT jave me by the short & curlies!