cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The story of a couple breaking up

pppbm
Grafter

Look I know that this is not what the Discussion Forums envisaged when they were set up and I know that this might not be what Community Support 'subject heading' was created for but this is the place most users seem to come to.

Tonight, having thought about even making this post, after 'knocking up the web site' this week, I finally flipped a coin to make the decision for me.

Hey, it's a personal thing - just like it is for a lot of those who will be reading this now. Some users are happy, and that is great - some users are not, and that is sad!

I first said I was thinking of going quite a while back - but I am lazy and I thought (believed the PlusNet spin) things were going to get better in the short term and I could afford to continue to pay for a 'cut-back - cut-down - all-round poor service for a while longer.

One day I simply sobered up and related PlusNet to any other service or commodity that I pay for and I realised I wouldn't put up with this for a minute. I would get off my backside and do something about it - so I have.

I would even venture so far as to say I would bet that the entire staff, and that includes the directors, of PlusNet wouldn't put up with the sort of service levels we are expected to when they are putting their hands in their pockets and paying out their own money for goods and services various!

I invite you to have a look - if you are remotely interested in a web site headed:
‘The story of a couple breaking up – does he find happiness and does the other party find all that glisters is not gold’
‘A true story of modern man in his search for the ideal partner’

It is nothing more than a story – an on-going story…

To visit a quickly built web site that may, or may not, have some mistakes of grammar or spelling, please use this link -

http://www.pppbm.plus.com/

Merry Christmas everyone tis, after all, the Season of Goodwill to All Men (and Women)
17 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

Somebody started on the Christmas Brandy a bit early this year Tongue

Having read through, quickly I must admit, I don't think anyone is surprised in your findings. Be are faster then Plus.net -- FACT. Yes yes we know Be is an LLU based company. Even on the P2P speedtest that is a great leveler as its clearly showing how aggressively Plus.net are throttling connections. And when I hear descriptions like
I am monitoring the speed issue because I guess anyone who has read this far will be wanting some real figures. Suffice to say that we are still in the honeymoon (only been together for 5 days) but I haven't dropped below 4500kbs (improving daily) and both Upload and Latency are better in speed and consistency. Long way off 24Mb but already a stable higher speed than ever before.
I can only conclude Plus.net are holding back on us and not giving us the service we pay for/deserve.

Oh if only Be where everywhere I might be tempted to move.
N/A

Great site Smiley..thoroughly enjoyable read. The bit right at the end about Ellacoya was great.
PN really are a bunch of cowboys.

Greed.. it's the destroyer of all things great. Simple as that.
Community Veteran

hey guys,

I've moved this to general chat as it's doesn't really fall under community support...
shellsong
Grafter

Oooh, I reckon it supports the community-- just not PN! Tongue
pppbm
Grafter

I am sad that a moderator moved the posting in less than 3 hours, especially when it appears that it had attracted a fair number of readers. Still I suppose if you take the view that making any type of comment and/or education less visible reduces the chance of being challenged and certainly restricts the flow of information then ultimately you have only yourself left to convince that you were right all along. The history books are littered with stories about the ‘stifling of freedom’ and even today there are many examples – China for instance –but progress cannot be halted whether by the few or the many.

Even as science and technology experience exponential levels of growth and development, even as we learn more and more about the world around us, most people maintain a belief that facts are to some degree malleable – “Never let the facts get in the way of a good story”. Reality, within this mindset, is secondary to belief and emotion. The core of the fallacy here is that reality (by definition) actually exists independent of belief and emotion; denying reality doesn’t make it any less real, nor does it keep reality from affecting us.

The bottom line is this: the world doesn’t go away when we close our eyes.

Often things need to be viewed, studied, analyzed, and dealt with, regardless of how much easier it may be to cover our eyes at the parts that challenge us or simply scare us into a state of semi-denial.

Life doesn’t stop being complicated because we pretend it’s simple. Anyone who advocates this “facts don’t matter” attitude should be openly and publicly criticized – the facts do matter. They always have, and they always will, no matter how many people choose to indulge their own preconceptions at the cost of things like truth, honesty, accuracy and open debate.

Whilst I accept that the posting has not been deleted, merely 'moved', the reason for it having been posted where it was originally was quite clear - that is where the majority go and it is relevant to a significant number of other postings - it is only the format of using a web site that is different. Maybe that's the problem, postings can be moderated while web sites cannot!

Catch 22 all over again.

However, I shall keep supplying ongoing information about the 'dual ISP test' for as long as I see site visits.
N/A

I found it an excellent read; perhaps it was the title that led to the move from the main forum.

Possibly, PlusNet - the truth; or something along those lines. You could always re-post it because of the format you have chosen. Smiley
Community Veteran

I think your China comparisions are a little over the top. This thread isn't related directly to PlusNet products and user support so it was right for it to be moved. We're not gagging your freedom, surely it would have been removed completely if that was the case? :?
N/A

This thread isn't related directly to PlusNet products and user support so it was right for it to be moved.

Im afraid it IS related directly to Plusnet products..namely their main product, supply of the internet.
It has everything to do with the community support forum as it relates exactly to the problems many users are seeing and reporting in that forum, and the comparison test he is running is of great interest to those of us who are having to endure these problems.
I would ask that the mods reconsider their decision to move it and put it back in it's rightful place.
shellsong
Grafter

I would have thought that the General Chit Chat Forum was one of the least appropriate places for this Topic-- if it is too sensitive an issue for independent minded Mods to leave in the Community Support Forum then at least put it in Voip and Everything Internet! :roll:

Edit: Having just looked at the Community Support Forum I notice that there are several Topics with similar intent, making similar points there-- just not as well constructed in argument as the OP of this one!
N/A

Shellsong,

When I read the thread originally I read the opening post. The OP makes one or two references to the directors and mentions plusnet. But there was nothing in there asking for or offering support. It then carried on to say that it was nothing more than a story etc etc.

I wouldnt say im independant minded or narrow minded either as I have always given others more free reign than I perhaps should have. But the opening post has nothing to do with the community support thread at all, it looks to me as though it is nothing more than idle chat.
The content on a personal site should not be considered as the post but merely as something that ones pointing out.

I reckon its fine here and a shadow topic was left so everyone knew it had been moved and where to. You cant really say any fairer than that could you.

Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

You really disappoint me Tom
When I read the thread originally I read the opening post. The OP makes one or two references to the directors and mentions plusnet. But there was nothing in there asking for or offering support. It then carried on to say that it was nothing more than a story etc etc.

There are quite a few Topics in the Community Support Forum that survive unmoderated although they don't speak to specific problems but rather deal with the way PlusNet is changing things to the detriment of their customers and their relationship with those customers.

A recent couple of cases in point you might care to consider are It's the Guardian, please pick up the phone ... please... and British Gas - A Lesson for PlusNet?. Both of them link to a web site albeit newspaper sites rather than a "private" one but does that mean private sites should be banned from the Community Support Forum?

I invite you to have a look - if you are remotely interested in a web site headed:
‘The story of a couple breaking up – does he find happiness and does the other party find all that glisters is not gold’
‘A true story of modern man in his search for the ideal partner’

It is nothing more than a story – an on-going story…

Are metaphors to be cause for moderation as well, because the allusion to it being "nothing more than a story" is clearly the use of metaphor to help put a point across?
N/A

I agree with Mr.Shell.
pppbm
Grafter

My plans are still in tact but I'm not quite as intact as I was so have suffered a few delays which have nothing to do with either PN or Be.
Be continues to perform extremely well and their support ticket service is just fantastic. I have been getting answers within minutes never mind hours, days, weeks and sometimes never!
Once I have all the electrics and systems back up and running after Christmas I will update the web site.
Meanwhile to anyone visiting - Merry Christmas and Happy Connecting in 2007
N/A

Re: The story of a couple breaking up

http://www.pppbm.plus.com/

Nice website but its sad to see nasty moderator censorship in action.

My local exchange was due to be Be activated in December but this has moved to January so this topic is of particular interest to me. I'm on LLU which has worked well for the last 6 months but I remain concerned that Plusnet will not be able to fix any problem that might arise (touch wood) because firstly, they are impossible to contact and secondly, they don't seem to be able to fix LLU problems.

Be would cost me more and I estimate my speed increase would only be from 8mb to 10-12mb but the extra cost would buy peace of mind.