cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The snail beats the cheetah in a broaband race

N/A

I have been having serious problems with the speed of my connection. I upgraded to Force 9 broadband premier last monday form broadband plus and my regrade was supposed to happen within half a day, which i think has happened as i now have a static IP address. The problem i am having is my speed problems, my sppeds are all over the place, ranging from (and don't laugh Tongue ,) 1.8 KBps to 250KBps. I have tried various speed testers and tweaking MTU ,all to no avail. My old dial-up modem could beat me in a race, 4 times over. Now these speed change at different times, usually after twelve my speed is fast but any other times and the speeds range from ridiculous to average.In my mind i have upgraded my account to a worse package, as my old broadband plus was faster and much more reliable, and the speeds were as expected. Please can anyone offer any advice, because it is all new to me. I'm going to try BT's speed test site tomorrow, 3 times during the day and night. Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Speed problems Ivan

Hello wtfitzpatrick,

OK, I know you've regraded (upgraded) to F9 Broadband premier. Please could you tell me what speed connection you think you should be on? is it 512K, 1MB or 2MB's??

It sounds a wee bit like your service has been regraded (i.e. F9) but I am wondering if your BT exchange has been enabled for the faster service, or if your BT line has been upgraded to take the faster speeds.

**Do you know which BT exchange your connected too? have a look at the usertools website for exchange information http://users.plus.net/

also have a look here too: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

**Another possibility might be that your service has been upgraded but F9 have not yet unthrottled the connection?? to give you the full Kbps.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to know someone's listening in a time of need. I used to be on the force 9 2mb broadband plus service, which i was happy with, but i was doing a lot of downloading so i upgraded to broadband premier 2mb service, which i have had problems with. One of the big differences with each service is contention, it used to be 50.1 (broadband plus) and now its supposed to be 30.1.
I have just done four speed tests on the zdnet speedchecker the first was 1189.6kbps, the second was 96.4kbps, the third was 1632kbps and the fourth was 28kbps. Can you see the problem i am having. Websites sometimes take ages to load sometimes they even give up trying other times they fly.
I have checked the exchange checker and i am on the mablethorpe exchange which VP capacity is red, work due august, port capacity is green and upgrades will take place in august. I am getting fast speeds 1 minute then creeping along the next. What do you think? Cry
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hello Again wtfitzpatrick,

First of all alot of internet users get very confused by the term contention, actually are you aware that contention is done by BT at the exchange equipment level NOT by F9 (ISP level).

Secondly, from past experience. This problem I would firmly place in BT's arena and so sadly I think for now (in the short term) I would have strong doubtes about how much one could do to change things quickly to drastically improve speeds on your service. (but NOT impossible though).

I would still suggest that you contact F9 support & explain the problem too them if you havent already. It's a post upgrade problem obviosuly and Yes! it definately needs sorting out but the required sorting out might just happen as a result of BT engineering works to your local exchange at Maplethorpe. If your problem "is" passed onto BT their NOT very quick (as BT ISP customers tend to get priority over other non BT ISP customers such as F9). But I would still urgently persue this problem via F9 & BT.

**I would agree that your NOT getting the full & high quality service you're paying for and fully deserve.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Thanks for all your help.
I will contact force 9 and let them know of my problem. After i have logged my speeds on the bt speedtester.
N/A

I had a similar problem when I joined F9 on a 1mb 20:1 connection. One minute I had a download speed of 110kbps, the next, it would take 10 mins to load a standard webpage. Totally unusable.
F9 passed to BT who eventually did line checks and found the fault to a piece of kit in their exchange. Unfortunatly took a week to resolve.

Good luck.