Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The mystical 8Meg..

N/A

The mystical 8Meg..

Hello,

I currently have a 1Meg link as the line is too long for a good 2Meg one. Cry

I was just wondering what the effect of BT upgrading the exchange to handle 8Meg would be. Is it a vast change in technology that would allow me to get a higher bit rate or am I doomed too having a lower than max bit rate due to the length of line? :? Sad

Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

The mystical 8Meg..

Hello starsdawn,

Like most of us ordinary broadband users I'm NOT expecting to be able to get the mystical 8megs for many many months & TBH with you I'd be suprised if I get it this year at all.

**8 Megs will be dependant upon BT converting equipment at your local BT phone exchange, the DSLMS have to be changed in some way.

**Next you have to ensure your broadband equipement is 8Meg compatible or 8Meg ready (but most recent BB modems & routers should be by now).

**Once your BT exchange has been 8Meg enabled then I think issues of physical line length & distance as the crow flies from exchange to your property will change too. So those previously on the limits for say 2Meg may well then get 2megs, even possibly 3-4Megs but I dont know about the full 8megs.

**Limits of tolerance for things like line noise or signal to noise ratio's, line attenuation,etc,etc will also change so I have heard.

**When your exchange will be changed or upgraded to an 8Meg service is extremely dependant upon where you live and which BT exchange your connected to. Even here in central Leeds, where I live less than 1 mile from my exchange and even though its a major BT exchange with x5 DSLMS I'm not expecting an 8Meg upgrade soon. Its a good job I'm happy with 2Mgs at the moment.

**I've just received an email from F9 this morning saying that BT will be upgrading all their exchanges as from April 2006 to 8Megs so I think you can realistically add at least 10-12months for 8megs becomes a reality knowing just how slow BT are too actually do anything.

Ivan
N/A

The mystical 8Meg..

**8 Megs will be dependant upon BT converting equipment at your local BT phone exchange, the DSLMS have to be changed in some way.

**Next you have to ensure your broadband equipement is 8Meg compatible or 8Meg ready (but most recent BB modems & routers should be by now).

Good point, I'll have to look into that. That would give me a good reason (for the other half) to buy new kit. :lol:

**Once your BT exchange has been 8Meg enabled then I think issues of physical line length & distance as the cow flies from exchange to your property will change too. So those previously on the limits for say 2Meg may well then get 2megs, even possibly 3-4Megs but I dont know about the full 8megs.

I was woulndering it it was going to be a case of ever decreasing circles, 'yes you can have 8meg, oh you don't live in the exchange....hmm, then no'. I'm not expecting the full 8, I would likley be happy with 4-5. Smiley

**When your exchange will be changed or upgraded to an 8Meg service is extremely dependant upon where you live and which BT exchange your connected to. Even here in central Leeds, where I live less than 1 mile from my exchange and even though its a major BT exchange with x5 DSLMS I'm not expecting an 8Meg upgrade soon. Its a good job I'm happy with 2Mgs at the moment.

Hmmm...I live in Coventry, quite a good BT town. Is there anywhere that BT publish there upgrade scheduals? (I'm douting somehow).

Thanks, Gary
N/A

The mystical 8Meg..

Hi Gary,

That's one of the BIG problems with BT its all cloak & dagger stuff and they never or almost never tell internet users beyond their own (BTOpenwrld or BTYahoo) whats going on or when changes will be made locally. BT are dreadfull for this. List of exchanges being upgraded to 8Megs and schedule of when you must be joking I strongly doubte that even F9 PlusNet as a BT customer will get that level of detail, & even if they do its 99% certain to be written in BT speak which is un-itelligable usually from past experience of such things.

**Its a sit tight and wait and see game, but TBH dont hold your breath or get too excited.

Ivan
N/A

The mystical 8Meg..

Im currently stuck with 1Mb broadband so Im intrigued to find out what BT will do for the future.
Howell
Grafter

The mystical 8Meg..

My company manufactures computer modular flooring and we won the contract to replace all the flooring in the BT exchanges up and down the country.

I can tell you from our work schedule that it's ALL action stations at the minute but the exchanges we are supplying to seem to be randomly place up and down the country.

The contract was signed early last year and it's took BT (well IBM actually) this long to get things moving as they have encountered various problems such as asbestos in buildings (yes their that old) among other things.

Were almost certainly required to for fill our orders by the year end!

On a further note ALL exchanges in Scotland have been put on hold for the foreseeable future this week!!. :roll:
N/A

The mystical 8Meg..

On a further note ALL exchanges in Scotland have been put on hold for the foreseeable future this week!!. :roll:

Well that's a bugger!

We know how to use the Internet up in Scotland you know :x

Any update on this?
N/A

The mystical 8Meg..

Hi,

All I can tell you with regards to my local BT exchange here in headingley Leeds according to BT's own schedule the exchange is due to be upgraded to 8megs any time after 31/03/06 but thats pretty meaningless I personally take that with a pinch of salt. It means it might get upgraded any time in the following 12months knowing how BT works when it comes to things like this.

**I suppose to be fair to BT it is a national rollout of 8megs and so its almost every BT exchange is its a massive task even at the best of times. Yes! 12months to complete is really fly to complete the job given that each exchange has to be visited and physically changed.

Ivan