Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The conclusion

jabb0
Grafter

The conclusion

hey guys n gals,

I am adding the finishing touches to my project, i have actually been informed its a thesis - as opposed to a bigass assignment, anyway thats besides the point.

I would like to think i am an advocate of Open Source, and the university have heard my rather angry voice on the subject a few times now, i would swear M$ is sponsering them.

Anyways on the conclusion of my project which entailed the making of a webpage i have said this :

Open Source shifts the focus of development from secretive code and monopolistic monetary gains of selling a closed product to a focus on customer support where the monetary gains are received from providing excellent support for your product and greater compatibility with other systems, in effect you are selling your services to the customer where the largest proportion of monetary gain comes from the setup, maintenance and further development of the product as opposed to the product itself thus improving the general perception and transparency of the IT industry as a whole to the public.

do you think this is a fair statement to make?
is too strong or opinionated to be taken into consideration?
i suppose wot im really asking is do you think i can get away with it without loosing any marks?

cheers
2 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

The conclusion

Is it relevant to the project? If it is a reasonable part of the brief then by all means include it, although it is perhaps a little strong. Be sure you give both sides of the argument, and justify your conclusion, i.e. make it sound like a sound reasoned argument rather than personal dogma.

As to whether you will lose marks, I couldn't say, but if I were marking it I would look for the ability to make decisions, but be able to justify them. If it was obviously going off on a tangent to cover some personal crusade then I would mark it down.
jabb0
Grafter

The conclusion

interesting point,

The point I was trying to get across with it was that i had used open source throughout, from the Operating System right through to the code editor.

It was theme i kept bringing up throughout the write-up. Im also hoping that since the university never once even touched the words open source i might get some marks for going the extra mile in doing something that was never taught or lectured upon.

Thanks for you input friend, im satisfied with myself in that i can go most of the way in what your saying, although there was an element of personal crusade in there, but there is another 15,000 words for them to get thier head around when marking it, so its maybe not too imortant.

cheers