cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The beginning of the end...

markgillespie
Grafter

I have been a Plusnet subscriber for 5 years now, and on the whole very happy, I have lived with all the capping on Broadband, changes in terms and conditions, deletion of data on CGI and email.

However, BT buying PlusNet really is the final straw. I simply don't want to be part of a BT owned Plusnet.

Goodbye all, it's been a blast, but it's time to move on...
15 REPLIES
N/A

Seconded. I had to spend about a day recently on behalf of a client sorting out an email problem with their BT ISP account. Getting an intelligent response from their support staff was impossible. Whereas PlusNet's support has always been good to excellent. I had recommended to the client they ditch BTconnect and go across to Plus Net - something I'll now be withdrawing, as no doubt the big-giant-BT culture of "stuff the customer" will take over - just a question of how long.
cormack

I totally agree. PlusNet have always been brilliant - their service and customer support are what they are known for, and I've never had any problems with them in the few years I've been with them.

BT, on the other hand, have got a reputation for being rubbish, not caring about their customers, and generally being nearly as bad as AOL!

Please, PlusNet, don't let this buyout happen. Keep PlusNet as the excellent independent company it is, and not let the corporate giant ruin another perfectly good ISP.
markgillespie
Grafter

The problem is, the market is consolodating, with all the independent ISP's being eaten by bigger fish. My worry, is that if I move, it will only be a matter of months before the ISP gets absorbed by a bigger ISP.

Unfortunatly, I live in a a non-cable and non-LLU area, my only option is ADSL.

I am thinking either PIPEX or DEMON as my new ISP, anyone got any experiences of either?
Community Veteran

Aren’t Thus trying to sell off Demon?

Chilly
shellsong
Grafter

If you look at http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php Demon and Pipex don't look too happy bracketing PlusNet and Sky-- The flavour of the moment appears to be Entanet ISPs if you haven't got a Be enabled exchange
Community Veteran

If you don't want to be part of an ISP that has any connections to BT then your only option is cable since everyone else uses some part of the BT network already!
N/A

I'm escaping before BT kills Plusnet. I had dreadful problems with BT in the past in a professional nature, seems like they can't manage a leased line with a service level agreement even after the company I was working for paid a "silly" amount of cash. That incident was a complete nightmare and I vowed to never use BT for internet services ever again.

One thing to note, BT have ONLY made an offer, its not been accepted, although It seems very much like a done deal.

I'm migrating to Demon simply because I use Demon adsl at work and I've never had any bother (apart from the BT side of things with their smoking routers!). I'm working on the theory "better the devil you know" (pardon the pun!)

Cheers and goodbye!

John.
cormack

The problem is, the market is consolodating, with all the independent ISP's being eaten by bigger fish. My worry, is that if I move, it will only be a matter of months before the ISP gets absorbed by a bigger ISP.

Unfortunatly, I live in a a non-cable and non-LLU area, my only option is ADSL.

I am thinking either PIPEX or DEMON as my new ISP, anyone got any experiences of either?

I was with Pipex before I moved to PlusNet, and was perfectly happy with them. In the two years I was with them, I think the only downtime I had was a couple of hours on a Sunday morning when one of their routers completely died. Other than that, their service was excellent.

I moved to PlusNet from them simply because PlusNet offered PHP etc on their accounts' web space. I'm definitely very happy I moved, as PlusNet have been excellent for the two years or so I've been with them. I won't abandon them until BT actually DO stuff the service up (I'm an optimist - I'm going to assume that the service will continue to be good, although in my heart of hearts I know its probably going to happen!)
N/A

I agree this doesn't sound good news. Before switching to Plus.net I used LineOne, until they were taken over by Tiscali and went rapidly down hill when I closed my account. Having experiance with BT "customer support" in the past, if the plus.net support goes the same way, then I will definitly be closing my account with plus.net. Please don't do it !!
N/A

The current offer they are making 'PlusNet will retain its brand and distinct identity. It will continue to operate from its base in Sheffield and Lee Strafford will remain its chief executive. '

Whether or not this is the case will be another matter. To be fair to BT, the customer service has improved alot since Ben Verwaayen took over. We will just have to see if Plus Net can retain its current service setup. I'm hoping that in relaity BT won't take much of an active hand in Plus Net.
N/A

BT aren't buying PlusNet for philanthropic reasons. They'll want to see radical improvements in the poor performance that is driving their customers away in droves. So some changes will be mandatory..
shellsong
Grafter

...Lee Strafford will remain its chief executive

Is that good? Who has presided over the farrago to date I wonder? :twisted: :lol:
Community Veteran

But then Lee S has been in charge since the year . including through the good times?
shellsong
Grafter

Onset of dementia? :roll: