cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The World Cup Thread

N/A

The World Cup Thread

I have noticed alot of posts today about the match(es) all over the forums. Seems a little silly to be posting our views on the teams and the scores etc scattered all over. So why not express your feelings here, about any team in WC etc

Personally I was very surprised by how well Ivory Coast played today against the Argies. They deserved a draw but then again Argentina had that goal not given when it seemed to cross the line heh. Not that I am feeling sorry for them of course. :lol:

Also, great stuff in the Sweden game, 0-0 draw - not much else we would want.. Although what everyone has been saying on about Trinidad & Tobago being a walk over seems that they could be wrong. They showed some true resolve today and they have some real pace upfront.

I really dont know what to say about the England game. We won and thats what matters I guess but it did seem odd in the 2nd half the way we just dipped.

Although I guess it was very hot and alot of the team were probably nackered by this time. Maybe what Sven did was get off the players who seemed to be suffering the worst just so they are fresh and fit for the next match. Switched tactics to defend and we managed to pull though, it worked so yeah if this is why then well done to Sven for the tactic switch.

But the question looms.. If he couldnt play young Theo in this match, when will he ever be able to play him in this WC - as its just going to get tougher and tougher. I think we are really suffering upfront and the fact Theo didnt get on even for a few minutes is a bit of a downer. If we do lose Owen or Crouch what are Svens choices :?:

Heh I havent got a clue whats going on really - just keeping my fingers crossed whatever Sven is playing pans out.

Cant wait to see the next games. The Mexico v Iran game I expect to be a good one as both teams have supposebly shown some good young talent. Cheesy
10 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

The World Cup Thread

True.

I hadn't realised till one of the pundits taliking to Adrian Chiles on digital said after the England game, that Sven's crap tactic of get a one goal lead, then dig in go totally defensive and try to hang on to it (and lose) comes straight from his years as a manager in Italy. That, he said, is what all the Italians do - but of course they're better at hanging on than we are.

I admired the Ivory Coast, but they couldn't seem to finish their attacks off properly, and it was hilarious when the Argies attacked how they all crowded round their goalie and knocked him over so he couldn't see the ball or get anywhere near it.
N/A

The World Cup Thread

I am surprised about the big deal everyone is making out of the enlgland match, it was a terrible performance, the only goal scored wasnt even ours....lets just hope its not the shape of things to come.

It just seemed that no one had their heart in the match at all, come on guys we loves ya, get a boot on!!
N/A

The World Cup Thread

Its almost becoming a permanent England trait to play bad in the 1st game of any sort Cup heh. Sure we can make excuses for the performance till we turn blue in the face, not that it will solve anything.

Its almost like because of the nerves and pressure they find it hard to get settled. Just as they are beginning to relax they win the group then they realise they are going into the knockouts and it all starts again lol. :?

I dont know what it is, its so hard to just put your finger on one thing and say "thats the problem". But there is without doubt a problem when it comes to competitive matches. I think they played good in the first half, maybe they didnt score any goals and only the 1 own goal but not always the best team on the pitch wins. I have seen so many Blackburn matches where we played so well but still managed to lose. It was not that the opposition was better it was just mixed things such as, referree advantages, luck of the draw and good substitutions by the opposing side.

I think that the deciding factor will simply be that when England are losing they will start to turn up the volume and everything will fall together. The quality of the players will show through when they are under actual physical pressure I think. Whereas before when we started to lose we just lost confidence and began to collapse. :roll:

Ah well, I much prefer watching the other games as I dont get stressed out lol. :lol:
N/A

The World Cup Thread

Aussie match was a cracker. Well done to them, great throw-in from my "home-boy" Neill - well done lad lol.

Just watching the Italy match now, second half has just started.

Go Ghana Go! Wink

Few matches tomorrow I suggest people watch, mainly the Brazilian one because by my estimations whoever wins our group will meet them in the semi's :x
ID
Grafter

The World Cup Thread

The german are Anhillating the swedes Sad 2- 0 and Sweden with 10 men
glad we managed to miss that slot Smiley
N/A

The World Cup Thread

lol yeah they looked pretty damn good today.

I hope we can play a bit closer to their level in the match against Ecuador rather than our last performance from the 2nd half vs Sweden :x

Any one know what the formation is for tomorrow vs Ecuador?
N/A

The World Cup Thread

What has happened to the press coverage of the English hooligans? Smiley
N/A

The World Cup Thread

Ughh.. That match was.. Shockedops:
N/A

The World Cup Thread

Beckham threw up with astonishment!

Still the lad done well... Wink
N/A

The World Cup Thread

You think we have much chance beating Portugal then? They lost a couple of decent players (Deco and another I believe) and 4 others are on yellows.. But will that really make such a huge difference?

Personally I think we struggled against Sweden but none of the other teams we have played looked like they could score. Maybe we havent had the goals we wanted but we have proven that we can get the chances we just need our luck to change Wink