cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dreaded Slow Downloads

N/A

Just signed up to the 2m line it is the plus account cant get p2p to work over 10kb ive seen other posts with the same problem, i managed to get it working the other day but a soon as i tried downloading again i was back to 10kb.
So i called customer services, I think i may need to upgrade my account to the premier account.
The adviser wasnt really very helpful, it seems that the only difference between the accounts is Plus at peak times will leave you with a low speed on p2p but should it be at this level?, 10kb is 95% of my speed restricted all the time that cant be right,, and the premier account doesnt restrict the speed at peak times but has some minimal shaping. cant see the premier package improving my speeds by 95%. So the theory is plus wont download at 2m all the time and will drop in speed at those times at minimal 512k and plus downloads at 2m all the time but with a minimal drop to keep the network unclogged this is the shaping effect.
I dont use p2p all the time i might download some linux software or developer stuff equalling about 2.5gigs once in a week then not do anything for a week or so. I dont expect to have the full 2m download all the time but at least 50kb would be nice. Any help would be appreciated. The adviser at f9 wouldnt really say if i needed to upgrade he implied that the speed shouldnt drop that low on plus but upgrading would give me 2m all the time with a possible drop for 5 mins if the download is an hour long on the premier account.
7 REPLIES
N/A

BB+ accounts are not designed for p2p usage, they are heavily throttled. If you want to have any chance of success downloading over p2p then you need to have the premier account.

Regards

Mark
N/A

I'd come to that conclusion, at least if it still downloads slow i have the right to complain about it, but they dont make alot clear about restrictions i totally agree that in order to maintain their network they have to place limits to stop "the kid in the sweet shop" mentality, I do fear that im still gonna have the same problem on the premier account. That assumptions based on previous posts of premier account holders with identicle problems.
The advisor i spoke to seem to think that the restrictions arent that extreme I could understand only getting 512k (50kb) at busy times not a total restriction.
But perhaps contention comes into play aswell. Ive been on a 512k Cable connection which is very different to ADSL so im still learning, I dont mind paying more to get it working i just think there are better ways to manage speed.
N/A

I have a premier account and like you don't download much using p2p or torrents. Now that torrents are becoming popular as a legal method of software distribution, especially for linux distros, I find it very frustrating that I can only download at about 13kb/s using very popular torrents, with seeds around the 500 mark, and plenty of leachers.

Another thing worth taking note of. I have the 2MB premier account, and after about 5pm until about 1am, downloads from fast servers, via FTP or HTTP, can be extemely slow, about 50kb/s. This is pretty much unacceptable on a 2MB account as far as I'm concerned. However, after doing a BT Wholesale speed test, it turned out the problem was not with F9, but with BT. And unfortunately for me, BT refuse to raise a speed issue with an exchange unless the speed averages 400kb/s on what should be a 2MB/s connection. Way too low if you ask me.

Could be contention, but I really didn't think the speed would drop quite that low at peak times.
N/A

Hi,

Came to ask about slow speeds too. We're on the 2MB premier plus account (or whatever it is - £21.99 p/m unlimited during peak times). Currently I'm the only one online at the moment and only downloading at 40kB/s-ish; less than half the speed I get with AOL 1MB broadband.

Furthermore, I'm sharing this connectino with 4 other housemates (I'm a student), and whenever 3 or more are on the internet, it brings me back to those 56kB, penny a minute days Sad

We're currently networked via the Netgear DG834v2 ADSL Modem Router and FS605v2 5 port switch. Will any of this have an effect on our speed or is it F9/BT as well? F9 seems a bit small print, it's just a shame I didn't know before hand I guess. Like, paid for the monthly contract and then realise that there's a cancellation fee of £40-ish I think which doesn't work out much cheaper for us at all (given that we won't be here over summer holidays)...
N/A

I'd suggest trying the BT Speed Test at http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

If your speed is reported slow by that, then I think that means it isn't an F9 issue.

That means it's BT's fault, and as noted on the BT Speed Test page, 400kbps and above is considered acceptable for a 2Mbps connection, which I think is far far too low (that's about 50kilobytes/s).

If the speed test reports lower than the 400kbps threshold, let F9 know via contact us and hopefully they'll raise an issue with BT.

HTH
N/A

Thanks for the info Caruth.

I'm downloading the new version of iTunes at the moment (going at 50kB/s Sad), but after that I'll run the test.
N/A

Ive upgraded to the premier now and speeds are fine now, I think you've definateley got a problem there westernroad86 other than f9 ive got the same router and speeds are max now hope you get things sorted