cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Budget

N/A

The Budget

Ok, so how did it affect you then?

ME, right royally taken from you know where.... I am now worse off on the ved by 40 quid, and I only own a bloody 1.3 engine vehicle BUUUT, its a 4x4 that slips the previous band by 4g FOUR LOUSY G!! and for that instead of 150 a year I have to pay 190.

And what the hell is this with zero duty for the least pollutive vehicles, WHAT....I always thought that some of your road tax went toward mending roads n stuff.....so they get to use the roads without paying for em...nice!!

AND BEFORE THE PC PARTY JUMP ON ME!!

I own a 4x4 because I need one, its not shiny and polished (well it is today cos it just had a bath) its usually head to foot in mud, I need it for work, and its been used on shouts as a 4x4 as well!

Labour...you aint getting my vote next time.....Monster Raving Looney party methinks!
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The Budget

tax on spirits is still frozen so thats all i care about Cheesy
N/A

The Budget

An extra 1p per pint.

I'll live.
shellsong
Grafter

The Budget

My Astra CDX estate just makes it in the £150 bracket at 185g/km but I wouldn't mind swapping it for a Prius at £40 p.a.-- maybe you'll be up for one of the Range Rover hybrids when they make it off the drawing board then? They should get right up Jeremy Clarkson's nose! :lol:
Alecto
Grafter

Re: The Budget

WHAT....I always thought that some of your road tax went toward mending roads n stuff....

No more than the cigarette tax goes towards curing lung cancer, or the booze tax goes towards curing alkies, or the "National Insurance" goes towards insuring anybody nationally. It's all another sneaky way to get more of your money for them to **** up against the wall.

The pollution stuff is just a nonsense reason for doing it, of course. But no more of a lie than most of the stuff they tell you.
N/A

The Budget

I've got a Golf 1.9 TDI and I've not managed to find where I can see what bracket I'll be in now for car tax. Where are you guys looking?

Cheers,
Community Veteran

The Budget

Theres a pretty good website run by the DVLA or whoever is in charge of it which gives details for each car but I don't have the url as i'm in work.

Personally with the budget, I've lost a little and gained a little so Im fine Smiley
Community Veteran

The Budget

Rich
Grafter

The Budget

Current Car is a Toyota Yaris diesel, soon to be replaced by a Renault Modus diesel - ved down by £35 to £50

Also, VAT on condoms cut from 17.5% to 5%.

Cheesy
Community Veteran

The Budget

They shouldn't be vatted at all, same for other similar health related things.

I also think they should reduce or remove vat on alot of enviromently friendly products like energy saving light bulbs.
N/A

The Budget

Ill agree with you on this point Chris.

I personally think that VAT should be for either luxury items or for items that damage the enviroment.
If energy efficient bulbs were nearer the normal bulb bracket a lot of people would be using them. Actually why not have a energy efficiency drive and give some away for free as a ploy to educate?

Now what was this thing for first time buyers that is meant to be so helpful? I hope its something major, I pay £200 a month currently but to mortgage the house ( buy it from the council ) I would be looking at £450 +. Hmm I think ill rent for a little while longer till I win the euromillions lol.
N/A

The Budget

I personally think that VAT should be for either luxury items........

Why is that then, what do you define as luxury?
Say a working person, with a couple kids, housing costs and all the expense that everyday life brings, manages to get enough together for something that might be classed as luxury. What is the justification for taxing the said item?
Are luxury items only for the well heeled, are these luxuries too good for the rest of us plebs?
We already get taxed when we earn money or save money, I can't think of any good reason for being taxed when we actually spend some.
There must be a better way
N/A

The Budget

Ahh Paul,

Perhaps it was ill of me to word things soo loosely. I did infact mean luxury in the sense of "hovis" as apposed to "asda home brand" not in the sense of your going on holiday therefore lets get the tax out boys.

I guess that looking at it from a completely different angle it would be far too complicated and time consuming to depict luxury items from normal needed household items etc.
N/A

The Budget

I also think they should reduce or remove vat on alot of enviromently friendly products like energy saving light bulbs.

I'm not looking to start a war or anything, but how can a light buld be enviromently friendly? It still has to be manufactured just the same as anyother light bulb, nothing enviromently friendly about that
Or how can it be energy saving.? No light bulb I know of saves energy, they all use energy. They might use less, so whats the outcome of that? The power companies sell less energy and make less profit, so up goes the price for energy. The bulb has saved you nothing in the long run.
Has it reduced the use of fossil fuels, no, what it has done has made the use of fossil fuels carry on longer that it would have done.
Alternative fuels will only come into there own when there is nothing else. A car that does 200 miles to the gallon will not increase fuel reserves, but it will push up the cost of petrol. Making fossil fuels last longer is only delaying the discovery and invention of cleaner energy.
I'm not saying go mad and use all fuel reserves in the next five years, but what I'm saying is, if we double the life span of fuel reserves, then we just push the problem of finding alteratives on to future generations down the line.
I would rather my grandkids had a reliable source off energy, rather than face the prospect of a dwindling oil supply that we had somehow managed to eke out, and thus failed to find a better solution.
No doubt I will get a kicking for this view, but don't be fooled, the energy companies will be happy for you to use less. As long as they can charge you more and more the less you use, thus putting off their need to finance alternatives.
shellsong
Grafter

The Budget

Now, now Paul! Surely the thing about "energy saving" light bulbs etcetera is that they use much less energy than the items they replace-- a reduction to about twenty percent of the power that would otherwise have been used and a tenfold increase in useable life must be better than the status quo!

OK so it is utter madness to dig stuff out of the ground and burn it if you can't replace it unless it is an extremely short term measure that can enable the development of true renewable energy sources and such utter madness has been going on far too long for our own wellbeing, but there are major possibilities looming an the horizon if we don't foul things up completely in the next 30 or 40 years!

Of course it may be too late already!