cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks F9 for windowsXP security warning!!

N/A

Hi,
Just wanted to express my thanks to F9 Support for the latest WindowsXP security warning Re: RPC vulnerability. This allowed me to immediately implement the required patch for my system. Once again my appreciation for that.

Best Regards to support from Ivan
9 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, well done. But for other reading this, it's not just XP but ALL versions of Windows (Win 9x, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, 2003).

Neil
N/A

Yes, thank you to Force9 for the tip-off.

But don't you just hate Microsoft! I went to the page specified, and was not permitted to download the required update because on my browser I prohibit the running of ActiveX controls, and have no intention of switching them on for Microsoft or anyone else.

What a joke this is! Here's what MS's FAQs had to say about warning messages with ActiveX controls:
Q: Why do I get a message saying an ActiveX control on this page is not safe?
A: This message is displayed when your security setting in Internet Explorer is set too high. For Windows Update to work properly, you must change the security settings for the Internet zone to Medium or lower. To do so, go to Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. Click the Security tab, and then click Internet. To adjust your security level, click Default Level or Custom Level.

So you have to reduce your security settings to medium or lower for them do their stuff!

So I then tried a non-MS operating system, running Mozilla as the browser, and was promptly told by the MS website I must be "running a validly licensed Windows operating system" (I was, but not on that particular machine) if I was to be allowed anywhere near "windowsupdate" and had to use a browser with ActiveX support.

In any case, I don't like installing over the web, as I like to download the program, store it safely on my hard disk, where I can check it out, and then install it on the relevant MS systems, without having to download it for each one.

Doesn't seem an unreasonable requirement, does it? Even Microsoft, acknowledged that (if you use a non-MS operating system, you get a different set of FAQs, which address this issue):
Q: Why can't I download Updates from the Windows Update Web site and save them to disk so I can install them later or on another computer?
A: The decision to combine component download and installation on the Windows Update site was driven by the desire to create a seamless, hands-free update process for home users. However, we agree that there is a need to be able to download files without installing, so that they can be installed at a later date or redistributed within an organization. To address this issue, we have created the Windows Update Corporate site, geared towards IT Managers and other users who need access to downloadable and redistributable components.

So, it would seem, in the MS mindset, you have to be a corporate user (presumably with a corporate account) to download to disk for subsequent installation. I went to that location, and found the same message about the validly licensed Windows OS. (so someone in a corporate IT department running, say, Solaris, also can't use "corporate.windowsupdate" to download fixes for Windows machines -- what on earth is MS thinking!!!!)

Anyway, eventually, on a page of popular downloads, I found WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe, which I hope is what this was all about, and downloaded and installed it on my systems.

Why does Microsoft have to make life so difficult?
N/A

MS Answer!!

Hi,
The answer is because they're Microsoft of course!! and they can (make life as difficult and complex as possible). And because they're Americans who always find the most difficult and complex ways of doing the most simple and straightforward things!!

Ivan
N/A

Ivan

You must be a mind reader as well! I was going to say something very much along the same lines. :lol:

Neil
N/A

Well, at least we can hope the EU will give them some reason to buck up their ideas, which the American courts so manifestly failed to do.
N/A

The Politics of software!!

Hi,
As long as Mr Bush remains good buddies with Mr Gates then MS will always get away with world domination of the software market. Why? you ask because the US economy (and US administration) reaps such vast taxes (Billions of $)from MS that there is litle or no incentive to knock MS harder than it has already.

Ivan
N/A

Windows Updates

At least Microsoft have an integrated updates solution, and one that is free, and works seemlessly in the background, unlike the (how many?) variants of Linux etc. many of which you have to pay for the service. I'd bet there are, proportionally, as many unpatched Linux boxes out there than there are Windows machines.

And I WISH Force 9 would stop telling me I have Blaster on my machine every time I start MS Outlook. Arghh!
N/A

The Trouble with Linux

Hi,

Apart from patches & fixes the other problem I found with most of the Linux distributions I came across was that Linux terminology is about as bad if not worse than Microsoft speak. Linux has its own pretty complex terms for similar things or functions as in windows but is so obscurr sometimes that it seems like gobbled dee gook to a long standing MS windows user,phew and I thought MS windows was difficult or obscure?

:lol:
N/A

Re: Windows Updates

At least Microsoft have an integrated updates solution, and one that is free, and works seemlessly in the background, unlike the (how many?) variants of Linux etc. many of which you have to pay for the service. I'd bet there are, proportionally, as many unpatched Linux boxes out there than there are Windows machines.

And I WISH Force 9 would stop telling me I have Blaster on my machine every time I start MS Outlook. Arghh!

.....Errr maybe you do?

However I had a similar problem scanning a friends PC with nmap to find open ports.. I was doing a favour and checking for open ports for him and I got a virus warning simply because port 113 (ident) was accessed. Some old apps still use this port for comms of a certain nature.... the f9 service is a good idea, but should be voluntarily turned on or off.

Matt