cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telewest V Plusnet

N/A

Telewest V Plusnet

Hi,

Not sure whether correct forum, So i do appoligise if its incorrect.

Could anyone offer me any advise regarding the pro's and cons of cable.

I am just about to move into a telewest area and even thought i like PlusNet, and was planning on staying with them. Telewest can offer me 1meg (soon to be 4meg) broad band plus TV for £20 per month, plus i don't need a phone line so saving myself the line rental each month.

Any one have any experiance with Telewest.

Kind Regard
Matthew Blackburn
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Telewest V Plusnet

If it was NTL i would say avoid like the plague.

But it's not so I won't. The cable technology is supposedly far superior to ADSL however there is no competition, even NTL and telewest don't compete with each other as they cover different areas this is probably the main advantage of ADSL, you have a choice of provider and it's easy to switch if you are unhappy.
LiamM
Grafter

Telewest V Plusnet

Cable tends to me far more contended due to it's nature. But it's also handy to be buying direct from the people that own the network.

Both ADSL and Cable have their Pros and Cons. Look out for usage limits too...
Community Veteran

Telewest V Plusnet

Telewest isnt bad, I know a few people who use them and find them to be quite good. I'd check the offer your thinking about, alot of these Broadband + TV deals include only the free TV channels that you can get via Freeview or Sky's free service, so check the TV package and if its not that good then remove it from the equasion and just consider the ADSL v Telewest.

Chris
N/A

Telewest V Plusnet

The TV package thats offered is only a starter package but i don't really watch TV anyway so its only really a bonus and i'm not perticually taking it into account.

I also don't use any of the added fetures plusnet offer like CGI SQL ect so thats not an issue.

The main thing is the connection itself,

On the telewest site it dose say its unlimited usage, (but i'm sure there will be a clause in the T&C's about excessive usage. ect but don't ever really go over 30g a month)

Currently i'm paying £51.99 a month for my telephone, adsl and sky. When i can get all 3 for £20 per month by having telewest provide the internet connection and TV and using a Voip provider like Sipgate. Cost really isn't a main factor, Don't mind paying more for a better service. Just not more for the same service.

But then again Better the Devil you know.
Community Veteran

Telewest V Plusnet

As you say your not really watching TV much so regardless of what you do ditch Sky and just ask them to convert it to the free Sky package, you get all the normal free channels + some rubbish ones, still better than Freeview or Telewest.

It sounds like you need a Premier account for your useage = £21 + £10ish for your phone line compared with however much Telewests package is. You also need to consider the installation costs from Telewest, I dont know how much that is compared with PlusNet + BT. Also one thing I've noticed with a lot of telewest packages, you must have a phoneline as part of the deal so check to see if this pushes the cost up at all.

Chris
N/A

Telewest V Plusnet

Cost wise Telewest beat plus net. Its free installation plus £10 off my first bill and i don't have to have a telephone service so i'm saving an extra £10 odd a month.

Its more the connection and Customer Services/ Technical Supportthat i'm concerned about. Is a cable connection the same as an ADSL connection, can i do the same things with it ect.

Also does anyone know what what telewests support is like, I know Plusnet can be a bit slow at times but normally there support is really good.

Also the 4 meg connection is really tempting.
N/A

Telewest V Plusnet

I've just moved from NTL to Plusnet. The main reason I moved was the very poor customer service from NTL. However, I sometimes regret the move.

NTL 2Mb cable service was very very good, speed wise it was excellent. Their customer service was the pits. I've found speeds using Plusnet premier to be slightly slower than NTL.

The introduction of caps at plusnet is also a pain. In saying that, I should point out that NTL also introduced capping, but as yet it is not that well enforced. They do they provide a tool for measuring your usage.

Using DSL rather than cable means that I can switch DSL providers if need be. But as yet I'm still to be convinced that DSL is better than cable. Part of me wishes I stuck with cable.
Metalguru
Grafter

Telewest V Plusnet

I've presently got both.

Telewest and +Net.

So far no complaints with my Telewest service.
Looking on the forums I can expect some exciting (and free) speed upgrades in the very near future.

And they supply what seems to be a good package of security software to protect you on line.

For some unknown reason, I also seem to get a better wireless connection to my lap top now ............. which I didn't get with +net>

Now all I got do is get +Net to turn me off........... (easier said than done).