cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV to DVD recorder connections

boone70
Grafter

HELP. I have recently bought a HD ready TV with built in digital and analog receivers. When I activate the recorder it automatically switches the TV to analog and I am unable to record digital programs. At present I have aerial in to recorder and then into TV I have scart out of TV to in on recorder. There are two scart sockets on TV and Recorder. I tried with two scarts connected without success.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
E L
7 REPLIES
dennisb66
Grafter

hI Linden.I also have the same problem,no matter how many times i re-tune the channels, only the anologue channels are downloaded to my DVD recorder. So I will be watching this space with interest. Wink
N/A

Dunno if this is any help? - I've not upgraded to HD yet myself so grasping around in the dark, as it were.

I've quoted the bit I suspect is most relevant, but the article may well be worth a read in full, for both those who already have HD, and for those considering it.

Cables and copy-protection
You'll need to get the HD content onto your TV so it's time to talk about cables and connections. You'll want one SCART connector for your current DVD player and a second SCART for your PS2 or Xbox, and component-video will come in handy if you have an Xbox 360 which has HD output. You can also use component to carry HD content provided it's not copy-protected. Sooner or later you can expect that most HD content will be encrypted, and that means using an HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) connector.

As the encrypted HD signal passes down the line each device in the chain checks that the next device has an HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) chip which holds the encryption keys securely. The visible part of this chain is the HDMI connector, which looks similar to a Firewire port. Provided you connect your PS3 or HD DVD player to your HDTV with HDMI then all is well. HDMI supports both audio and video so if you want the full home theatre effect you'll need a surround sound receiver with HDMI pass-through.The content protection chain is supposed to end at your HDTV when you watch the picture and listen to the audio, but if, say, you connect a PVR or a camcorder so you can record shows to hard disk or digital tape then the chain is broken. The system responds by dropping the resolution of the image so 1080i HD drops from 1,920 x 1,080 to 960 x 540, and a 720p image will drop even lower, probably to 480p which is an HD standard that is similar to the US TV system, NTSC.

In other words, if there's a glitch or one of your pieces of hardware doesn't fully support HDCP you'll end up with an image that is worse than you get from standard-definition TV today.

boone70
Grafter

DVDR connections

Thanks sallyandjames, I have now solved the problem and passed the solution on to Dennis in a PM
E L
N/A

Always a pleasure.
shellsong
Grafter

I gather a lot of "HD ready TVs" don't have the resolution to handle HDTV standards! :lol:
N/A

What does it matter, its mainly junk 24/7 on telly anyways. Wink
shellsong
Grafter

Who cares if it's rubbish as long as it's high definition, high fidelity rubbish! Tongue