cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[TECH] Windows 2000/XP Advice

N/A

I've read somewhere recently about installing an internet connexion as a Windows Service, so that it can be run before/without logon. Unfortunately, I lost the link and now cannot remember how I found it.

Can anyone help?

C. John Brodhurst.
14 REPLIES
N/A

XP services

Hi,
Have a look at the following link, http://www.firedaemon.com/
Firedaemon allows you to run any application or program as if it was a windows service. Hope this might what your looking for?

Cheers Ivan Cool
N/A

Thanks...

I'd actually just noticed this, and it was what prompted me to ask. I think originally the article I saw had it done more natively... I'll investigate FireDaemon a bit more though.

Any other suggestions? I'm sure I didn't imagine it!

Thanks,

John.
N/A

Another Place to Look!!

Hi John, Apart from Firedaemon as mentioned previously, it might be worth having a look on this website as its fully of win2k & XP teaks and you also might find what your looking for here too? Dont know but its definately worth a try:-

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/

Cool Ivan
N/A

Thanks again

Thanks, Ivan.

I'll have a look through this site.

I really wish I'd bookmarked the original!

John.
N/A

do you mean the ICS service?

Internet Connection Sharing, whilst a bit primitive, is native and is a service which will therefore start when the OS starts - if you configure it to.
N/A

Services

Hello again,

If your using win2k or XP Pro, see Start Menu, Programs, Admin tools, Services, ICS should be an option once installed (if installed correctly),
you should be able to config windows either as Manuel (start & stop the service yourself as & when) or Automatic (i.e. starts when windows starts),
The service/s can also be disabled completely too, so you need to exercise
a little caution when working within the services applet.

Ivan :lol:
N/A

Hmm. Circles

Thanks for all your help. I feel like we're going round in circles slightly. Let me explain the situation more clearly:

I run a small network in my house. We have a 'dedicated' server that connects to the internet via a stupid USB modem and shares this with the rest of the network using Microsoft's ICS. (This server also acts as a fileserver and occasionally testbed for my wacky schemes) The server will in the future be running various game ded-servs to support our recreational needs

Somewhere, weeks ago, I read an article about logging in to an internet connexion automatically, without logging on - using a service of some sort. This would be immensely useful because we are so lazy. Unfortunately I didn't take much notice of it at the time because I was looking for something else. Now, as Murphy's Law dictates, I can't find it again.

FireDaemon looks useful, but I intend to use it to run game servers, and the free version is limited to one service. This is not ultimately a problem, but it irks me that I should use a 3rd party tool for something built into Windows (I mean really built in, not just required, like IE)

I shall continue to search. Thanks for all your help.

John.
N/A

i believe you are looking for this,

i knew i had it somewhere, i haven't had chance to test and confirm but here it is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"EnableAutodial"=dword:0000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole]
"EnableRemoteConnect"="Y"

Darren
N/A

I'll try it tonight! Thanks very much.

John.
N/A

your welcome,

what ar the odds im in Canterbury as well Smiley

Darren
N/A

Hmm. Useful, this is.

Aha!

Since you're posting in this form, I assume that you use F9 ADSL.

Do you get stupidly low connexion speeds too? Is it just me? I live near the prison, and I think I'm on the main Canterbury exchange. I get really low connexion speeds, except at about 4-6am when I must be one of the few people in the city using ADSL. I have some friends in St. Stephens who both have ADSL - one F9 and one other ISP - and they both have 'typical' broadband speeds.

Thanks,

John.
N/A

Well im in St Dunstans, and am getting 55+ K/s speeds at home at work we have a 2Meg line with Easynet and are having bad speed issues

according to http://cgi.support.plus.com/exchanges/ there is currently capacity problems on the exchange. due to be fixed 24/03/2004 although that date keeps shifting back,

going back a few months or so my speed was dropping right down to ~13k/s Thanks to Ian the problem was solved

Darren
N/A

Ah, well. I shall remain optimistic then! Tongue

John.
N/A

According to that page, my exchange is over capacity, and is due to be upgraded soon. Good news all round then!

Actually, tonight I got quite good speeds anyway.

John.