cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T1 lines in UK...

N/A

T1 lines in UK...

is it possible? if so then can any1 tell me a company that does it? costs? etc.
35 REPLIES
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

If by T1 you mean 1.544 Mbps sync then people like bulldog will do you SDSL if your exchange has been opened up and upgraded.

T1 doesn't really exist in the UK anymore. If you order a leased line from anyone BT will put in a 2 Meg fibre link and the ISP will give you whatever bandwidth you pay for.

If you mean a leased line, then you need to look quite carefully at what you actually want it for. I've used NTL on price (16K ish a year for 4 meg, dependant on loads of conditions) I didn't need anything other than bandwidth, and Pipex for value added, about 6K a year for 1 meg and message labs and various other bit.

Leased lines are still really expensive but the SLA is very good. If you need the upstream and the reliability, no contention to the backbone, etc.....

Another thing that might influence your decision is the level of support you need. With most LL installations the ISP's responsibility ends at your side of the router, so you'll need the expertise on site to manage firewalls, your DMZ mail and published servers, some providors will do bundles.
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

so is T1...1.544mb up and down or just down?
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

fully synchronous, so up and down but shared between the two so if the line is maxed out for one way the other will suffer.

Realistically it doesn't work like that, unless you're streaming, as lines tend to max for a fraction of a second as they chuck the data then go quiet untill the next request is made.
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

so is the upload 256?
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

No, there aren't split limits like ADSL. The bandwidth is there to use as you please up or down.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

T1 lines in UK...

What he means is, you can have it 1544 down and not much up, or 772 down and 772 up, 0 down and 1544 up etc, or anywhere in between. It's up to you basically.
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

What he means is, you can have it 1544 down and not much up, or 772 down and 772 up, 0 down and 1544 up etc, or anywhere in between. It's up to you basically.

It's up useage basically, actually. Wink

You can of course put throttles on it yourself but's not basic. Cheesy
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

You can of course put throttles on it yourself but's not basic.

so do u get software that allows you to do that?
deepfatfrier
Grafter

T1 lines in UK...

I was simply assuming that "you" would be the one doing the using... Wink
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

Firewall/Perimeter mangement products like Microsoft's ISA server have very advanced throttling options. you can set bandwidth availability by port by internal client or destination set.

This is great. If you have say a published web server which you want to be as available as possible, you can limit ports 25 and 110 to say 64k which slows down large attachments, but stops your mail server from maxing out the line that you want site visitors using.
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

I was simply assuming that "you" would be the one doing the using... Wink

Doh! Shockedops:

That should have read it's up to useage, basically. :roll:
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

my question still hasnt been answered; were can i get T1 and how muchHuh?Huh
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

Hi,

Can't answer the where ... but it doesn't look cheap. The only deals I can find are all US based and range from 299-399 dollars per month. If thats the going rate then you can expect it to be expensive in the UK.

Graham
N/A

T1 lines in UK...

my question still hasnt been answered; were can i get T1 and how muchHuh?Huh

Like I said above, there's no such thing as a T1 on the market in the UK anymore.

The nearest equivelent is a leased line.

I can't see one on F9's homepage so I 'll say you can get one here.

http://www.pipex.net/products/access/dedicated-access/faq.php

And you'll have to phone 'em for a price 'cos they're really expensive.

http://www.f9.net.uk/products/business/sdsl/broadband_sdsl.html

Might be a better option. Wink