cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Staff in India

chino
Grafter

Support Staff in India

I know Plus.Net support staff are not in india however i do remember somone posting that they worked for an ISP who's support team was sacked and they moved to india as it was cheaper.

Does anyone know which ISP this is?

If so you can e-mail me (if you do not like posting in the forums) mark@mrcundall.co.uk

I only need this as i am currently doing my uni project on ISP's and i would like somthing to compare it with ......

Regards,

cUnDaLl
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Support Staff in India

Hi Mark,

How are you? Smiley

I know some banks have moved thier callcentres abroad but I don't know of any ISPs.

All the big players are based in the UK, but I don't know where AOLs support team are based. Might be them?

Chris
N/A

> Hi Mark,
>
> How are you? Smiley
>
> I know some banks have moved thier callcentres abroad but I don't know of any ISPs.
>
> All the big players are based in the UK, but I don't know where AOLs support team are based. Might be them?
>
> Chris

Mark,

I don't know which ISP it was but I know that Indian call centres charge by the call instead of by the hour. (but you probably knew that already).

Bill
chino
Grafter

First of all thanks for both of your replies.... Smiley

:cheese:

I am currently also doing a project on banks and i had just found out that the call centers had been moved to india (and IT for Abbey National). AOL's support is in Northern Ireland as far as i am aware.

Hopfully the person who stated the fact which i am after will reply to this thread (however i doubt it Sad ) I am lucky as this is not a key part to my project, (it's just a bonus feature).

Thanks again

Mark

Ps i am fine how is everyone?
Community Veteran

Abbey National haven't moved to India, one of thier big places is in Sheffield.

AFAIK it was NatWest who moved abroad. You might remember them saying in the adverts they won't do this <b>anymore</b>.

I'm sure your previous ISP experience will be useful for your project though. :p

Chris
N/A

> I know Plus.Net support staff are not in india however i do remember somone posting that they worked for an ISP who's support team was sacked and they moved to india as it was cheaper.
> I think i remember dell or mesh considering moving inquires and support to India:bandit:

N/A

There was an item on the 6 O'clock news this evening about BT's Directory Enquiries call centre transfering to India as this would apparently be more cost-effective for BT.

Question is, its great business practise to save money but what about customer satisfaction? Gone are the days when you had to know something about the type of enquiries you're dealing with. Sad

Put it this way, when I phone National Rail Enquiries about a "local" issue (Midlands), my call can be answered in a call centre in Edingburgh and when I mention the city I come from, one operater asked me no less than 3 times how to spell it.

--
Life Is A Roller Coaster.
N/A

> Question is, its great business practise to save money but what about customer satisfaction? Gone are the days when you had to know something about the type of enquiries you're dealing with. Sad

We're using a single member of staff in india for our web based business. We've found that the guy we have is more highly motivated and skilled than anyone we've seen in the UK.

I feel guilty doing it because we should employ UK staff but with so much red tape involved very few small businesses can afford to employ staff these days.