cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Resouce Site and community idea

Community Veteran

This is something I'd quite like to do; a site run mainly (not nesscercarily exclusively) by students for students; containing resources for various courses; and a forum for people to ask for help. Each course would have it's own section of the site and forum.

I'd like some suggestions on where people think this could go and if you would be so kind some people to help me set it up and run it...
19 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Which bunch of students are you aiming it for? Given the *huge* number of courses available it could be a bit difficult to manage.
Community Veteran

Any and all :p My thoughts would be to have a core team of people in charge then have; people on the courses in charge of each section.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

At work (University of Liverpool) we use Blackboard that basically does this for all our students. Think it's used in quite a large number of institutions over here.

Phil
N/A

you could of course have a page full of links to the relevant course providers and a forum to discuss the help and support available, that way you can concentrate on filling the gaps rather than being so general on the support, it might prove to be more effective that way
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm the programmer for PsYonline which is an A Level PsYchology resource site. We have someone working pretty much full time on it, and someone working 16 hours a week, plus a consortium of teachers working on it.

What your proposing would be a hugh task, and you would need a large, dedicated team I would think.

You also need to keep a close eye on what is put on the site, as a lot of lecturers wouldn't be too happy if they where published on someone elses site. The content of courses would also vary a great deal from institution to institution.

Phil
Community Veteran

At work (University of Liverpool) we use Blackboard that basically does this for all our students. Think it's used in quite a large number of institutions over here.

Phil

Yeah; they have it at here; but that only allows people on the same course within the college / uni to share info etc and here the disscussion board is disabled here.

I was thinking more of something less official site; where links to resources students have found and ideas could be exchanged as well as articles about and news about the various courses. Nothing copyrighted or nicked from lecturers without written permission. Just somewhere run mainly by students for students and responsive to what the users want as opposed to what various colleges / unis publish.

I realise it would be a big task and would need a good management team but I feel it would be acheivable.

It would obviously start out small with only a few courses; but then hopefully over time grow to include more courses.

It's just an idea I'd like to do; I haven't looked into the practicalities of it properly yet...
N/A

Daniel I wouldn't mind joining you on this venture, I start a psych degree with th OU in feb, and after having to find so many resources for getting over an abusive marriage, I think I might have some researching abilities that may help
Community Veteran

Sounds good; the more the better (up to a point obviously) especially if we are doing different courses.

As I said I'm not sure of all the practicalities yet; but it's something I would like to do...
Community Veteran

Right I've decided to take the plunge. I've set up a domain and set up a small forum to gather ideas etc to build into the site. If anyone is interested in helping out please let me know.

The site will be at www.studentcommonroom.co.uk
Community Veteran

sounds like a very interesting idea daniel but I agree with Liam, would require a lot of time to create the inital database given that UCAS has thousands and thousands of courses listed
Community Veteran

sounds like a very interesting idea daniel but I agree with Liam, would require a lot of time to create the inital database given that UCAS has thousands and thousands of courses listed

My idea is just to start small with a few courses; then build the site up over time to include more courses. There's no point in having a database of 1000's of courses but no content for those courses!
Community Veteran

Ah thats ok then! Had visions of you spending days building a database with thousands of courses and then have no content as half the courses are small courses with few people doing them!

will it be something like www.newstudent.org ?
Community Veteran

I've only read the three objectives so if I've missed anything let me know!

It seems the focus is on intorducing you to people who will be at your coleege / uni and preparing you to start at college / uni.

My site will provide information on the courses themselves links to useful resources and resources members have written (not coursework / essays to copy).
Community Veteran

sorry, the college networks been down due to a power failure, back on now! YAY!

Sounds like a very interesting idea, yeah thats what newstudents all about, was just checking to make sure I fully understood what you are planning on doing.