Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange mails - virus?

re-create-it
Grafter

Strange mails - virus?

I have had a flood of mails into my inbox, such as the following

Norton AntiVirus found a virus in an attachment you (phil@re-create-it.co.uk) sent to tankonyv@nszi.hu.

To ensure the recipient(s) are able to use the files you sent, perform a virus scan on your computer, clean any infected files, then resend this attachment.

Attachment: text.zip
Virus name: W32.Novarg.A@mm
Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine succeeded :
File status: Infected

I have not sent the mails stated in the messages and am concerned!

I have also had loads of bounced delivery failures sent back to users on my domain who do not exist and this is slightly worrying.

If this is a characterisitc of the virus, I can wait it out. However, if someone if using my address to send mail and viruses then I am very worried!

At the moment I am only checking mail through the web, my virus checker is up to date and I am confused as to where these mails are coming from!

Any clues/news/help as to if I need to do anything would be appreciated!
9 REPLIES
N/A

Your NOT alone!!

Hi,
I understand your concerns completely, however a word of reassurance to you. You are most certainly NOT alone with this kind of thing, I have also been receiving a high level of bounced or failure notices, & there are alot of viruses around at the moment creating infected emails with attachments similar too the one you've described. My understanding of this kind of thing, is that the tricks that the virus writers are now having to think up are becoming ever more sophisticated and bye implication more deavious & nasty. They try are confuse or trick people or fool people into opening or sending such infected mail (doing there nasty work for them!!?) I'd just delete this kind of thing ASAP!!

**But you are also correct to check out if your address is being used as a mail relay but F9 should be able to help you on that score I would have thought. Have a word with them if your genuinely concerned, too state the obvious of course mail relaying is possible but with F9 I would think the risks are small though?

Ivan
N/A

Strange mails - virus?

I have a similar problem, I don't believe I have a virus (antivirus checked says so?) but I have go over 1000 emails - the same 8 keep repeating themselves.
N/A

Might Not be a Virus as such!!

Hi,
Yes! Yes! Yes! it might not be a virus as such but these kinds of emails are often generated by viruses or designed by some virus writer or spammer to generally clogg up the email system or deminish bandwidth. Also just because your AV software doesnt detect this as a virus doesnt mean its NOT malicious. Emails can still contain quite nasty damaging scripts if executed. All you have to do is be curious enough to open the dam thing!! So be super careful what you open or who's email you open.

Ivan
re-create-it
Grafter

Strange mails - virus?

Just got another boat load of mails to loads of different names, all at my domain name. All names sounded kinda common as though someone is using my address and mailing out random messages with a spoofed reply-to field.

Names used were brenda, mike, alan, paul, alex, debby etc.

I am certain I never open attatchments, run up to date virus defiinitions and have a firewall on the desktop as well as on the router.

If I need to take any measures or am likely to be penalised, let me know!
N/A

Strange mails - virus?

this is the MyDoom virus, when the virus sends itselfout it spoofs thr from address it also seems to use generic email names like the ones you listed.

at work we have lots of emails to the names you listed as well as others. I doubt very much you are infected just got to ride the storm out as useual with these mass mailing viri

more info on the Virus @ http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100983

Darren
N/A

Replying Again

Hi,
Yep! Darren has outlined it nicely, I couldnt have put it any better myself. I havent read about the way Mydoom behaves in depth, which is abit remiss of me really but I just tend to think Oh! ye yet another worm or another variation on a theme. I just tend to bin 95-98% of my mail anyway as its junk,spam,or viral and the remaining 2% tends to be from those that I choose to hear from (friends,family,etc).

**Sad really but most email is a complete and utter waste of my time, But I definately wouldnt be without my copy of mailwasher pro. Email life would be hell without it, how do other people manage? I just cannot imagine!!.

Ivan
re-create-it
Grafter

Strange mails - virus?

Cool

Well, kind of cool, anyway!

I am no getting these mails in volume on my other account - but that server is equipped with spam assasin so 90% of them are getting flagged, read and dumped into a spam folder. Still got arond 50 last night!!!

Will keep waiting and hoping it dies down - and those generated email addresses floating around the web don't get harvested by a spam mailer!! :?
ivor_bigun

I think spammers target F9

Cry Warning its not the F9 members spamming well not all of them
The spammers are using F9 clients unlimited pop3 addresses to send spam
I found out when I started getting undelivered mail back to my box Mail which I had not sent
Some one was using a spam generator doing random@mydomain.f9.co.uk
yes its true there are unlimited pop 3 address I had 11,000 yes 11 thousand emails in my box every one from a different@mydomain.f9.co.uk
that has now ended my legitimate f9 emailI I got 4000 in one day the peek was 8000 in one week the max in the box was the 11000
There is nothing f9 can do they said If I use the redirect service I can delete them That means setting up 11,000 seperate diverts
Its impossible to get to your own mail as most mail readers e.g. outlook express are overwhelmed by the spam I have 3 different security systems but as the server is jammed they dont work Every time you log on to get mail the server locks up and the webmail page freezes
I have had to move to Tiscali who have spam protection on their email server
warning you can loose your f9 email if the spammer pick your domain
Its a shame but it looks like the end of unlimted pop 3 to the genral public and the end of the small ISPs like force9 who cant cope with such large amounts of spam I have had to let my domain go I am watching to see how long it actually lasts before it is killed or removed even though I made the mistake of paying up front for a whole year. You live and learn
N/A

Strange mails - virus?

I t has happened to me in the past, but I have ways of keeping it to a minimum now. Set up a mailbox for your most used email account/s. If you have mail sent to Ralph@username.f9.co.uk, make a mailbox called ralph. Make sure your email client is changed to take into account you are not checking the default account. In Tools/ Accounts/ (OE) find your connection. On the servers tab you need to have username+Ralph in the box. Anything now sent to 1234567898@username.f9.co.uk will be delivered to your default account and will stay there. You can access it as and when you want to clear it out by using Webmail or you can use Mailwasher.