cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static caravans

Community Veteran

Static caravans

Anyone got one or ever owned one?

I'm looking to buy a second hand one at the moment and could do with some advice on a few bits.

Unfortunatly its hard to find all the info I need on the web.

Chris
8 REPLIES
N/A

Static caravans

Try me.

We owned several on and off for the past 15 years.

The caravan itself is one of the least important points about the purchase. The site you choose is far more important.
Community Veteran

Static caravans

Your power's of knowing just about anything never cease to amaze me.

Any idea of the costs of moving one from one location to another?

Are site fees normally inclusive of things like water and any standing charges for electric?

What about TV licence?

I've been looking into getting one for a while, I've gathered so far that the main thing with the actual caravan is making sure the heater / boiler are ok as these appear to be the most expensive things to fix.

Where abouts did you have your caravans? I assume it was Wales?
N/A

Static caravans

LOL - I amaze myself sometimes. Knowledge is somthing you can't measure, unless you use it.

What constitutes a site fee varies from site to site. Most however include water, sewage and ground fee's. Depending on the site, electric can often come seperate. On top, if the site allows gas appliances and cylinders, you need to check if they supply them, if they have a contractor and if or not, you can pruchase your own. If it is through there contractor or themselves, is there cylender rental, or are they just deposit based.

Get in contact with the site for a copy of any agreement for you to scrutinise before moving in. Site fees can hurt.

Transport is the toughy. I won't go into detail on the troubles we had just before selling our last one, but transport was something we looked into.

It can vary from company to company, by a huge margin, not just competition based margins. Most companies have a base rate, which will allow you to transport from 1 to (eg) 40 miles for X amount.

Contacting caravan sales companies near to the colelction and destinations are a good start. Contacting other caravan parks, asking if they have a transport service (make sure you ask if they have one, otherwise, this often doesn't work) and then if or not they know anybody.

The TV licence is A OK. It does state on the rear, that a licence covers use in the caravan or moterhome for touring purposes, or any other caravan, provided the TV at the licenced premesis are not in use at the same time. AKA, your house sitter isn't supposed to watch TV Tongue

That is provided you have a TV licence in the first place.

You are correct, heaters and boilers are the expensive parts to fix, everything else, is relativly cheap.

Shockedops: We had our caravans in Conwy beleive it or not, only 2 1/2 miles from where we lived Tongue Though running a pub was sterssful, and the last palce you wanted to sleep was in the pub. So during the season, my parents lived in the caravan.

I will ask my mum tonight some more about about the rates for you.

Have you got any idea where you want to place your caravan? (PM the site name and location if needed)
Some companies are not nice at all. As partialy noted above, we had hell when it came to getting rid of our (7 months previously, we would have gotten 3 times as much).
Community Veteran

Static caravans

I'd love to have in somewhere in wales but it's too far from Sheffield. We are looking at Skegness area as we would be able to rent it out to a lot of people we know without having to put too much effort in.

Someone we know has one at the moment which they plan on getting rid of, however the caravan park have told them they need to shift it in two years.
We're going down for a few days for a look and will probably look into other caravans and sites while we are there.

Chris
N/A

Static caravans

County laws mean that an agreement for a van can only exist on site for so many years. Some councils also have a policy whereby certain aged and colours can't have there site agrees changed.

The best thing you can do, is nosey around the site, and try and talk to people that own caravans.

They are the ones best suited to tell you of any ground or sites rules.
Community Veteran

Static caravans

Thanks for the help.
I'll post an update once I've done some ground work.
Community Veteran

Static caravans

Was that supposed to be an utterly diabolical pun? Tongue

Thomas
Community Veteran

Static caravans

lol, only just noticed that reply.
It wasn't meant to be a pun (at least not that I remember).

I've now done my 'ground work' and made some decisions on what I want to do, just have to see if the numbers add up correctly on whether or not I can do it.

Chris