cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitter problem?

N/A

Splitter problem?

It was great to upgrade my dialup account to ADSL (I've been with F9 for about 4 years).

The modem and 2 splitters arrived.
I have one phone socket so duly set everything up and connected.

I then picked up the phone, and there was a horrendous echo, so I tried phoning a friend to test the line...
The conversation had a dreadful echo that both of us could hear and the line was not very clear.
I then switched over to the other splitter, and did the same test, but sadly it had the same results.

My webbrowsing has also been very erratic, sometimes the speed test is at 150KB, sometimes it is more like dialup!

I reported BOTH problems to F9, who suggested I go out and buy a new high quality splitter.
What F9 supply shoddy goods, surely not, and their last communication even suggests so!

Has anyone else experienced such noise/echos on their voice line, along with slow browsing?
Has anyone upgraded their splitters, if so what type and where from, and was it worth it?
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Splitter problem?

> It was great to upgrade my dialup account to ADSL (I've been with F9 for about 4 years).
>
> The modem and 2 splitters arrived.
> I have one phone socket so duly set everything up and connected.
>
> I then picked up the phone, and there was a horrendous echo, so I tried phoning a friend to test the line...
> The conversation had a dreadful echo that both of us could hear and the line was not very clear.
> I then switched over to the other splitter, and did the same test, but sadly it had the same results.
>
> My webbrowsing has also been very erratic, sometimes the speed test is at 150KB, sometimes it is more like dialup!
>
> I reported BOTH problems to F9, who suggested I go out and buy a new high quality splitter.
> What F9 supply shoddy goods, surely not, and their last communication even suggests so!
>
> Has anyone else experienced such noise/echos on their voice line, along with slow browsing?
> Has anyone upgraded their splitters, if so what type and where from, and was it worth it?

Hi,
I have not had the same problems that you describe but when I first had ADSL activated the line was rather noisy but I contacted BT's DSL tech support team and they tested my line & adjusted the gain and also rebalanced the line which did make a difference to the main problem I was having which was dropped connections.

I have a feeling that what you need is NOT any old common or garden splitter but the precise one that your modem or router manufacturer recommends. I specifically did this because the splitter is so important & with out it ADSL is aweful to put it mildly. ASK the modem/router maker which one you need would be my advise here.

--
N/A

I've always used the filters supplied by dslsource (http://www.dslsource.co.uk/filters.asp?idShop=Cool and have never had any problems with them. They are fully compliant with SIN 346 (the BT Supplier Information Note which describes the requirements for these devices; see http://www.sinet.bt.com).
N/A

> Hi,
> I have not had the same problems that you describe but when I first had ADSL activated the line was rather noisy but I contacted BT's DSL tech support team and they tested my line & adjusted the gain and also rebalanced the line which did make a difference to the main problem I was having which was dropped connections.
>
> I have a feeling that what you need is NOT any old common or garden splitter but the precise one that your modem or router manufacturer recommends. I specifically did this because the splitter is so important & with out it ADSL is aweful to put it mildly. ASK the modem/router maker which one you need would be my advise here.

Cheers.
Called BT DSL Technical Support and it would appear my gain was increased in 1999 for dialup, as I reported poor line quality on dialup.
They now have to reset it for DSL...
Shall sit wait and see if it makes any difference.
N/A

> Called BT DSL Technical Support and it would appear my gain was increased in 1999 for dialup, as I reported poor line quality on dialup.
> They now have to reset it for DSL...
> Shall sit wait and see if it makes any difference.

Blimey, that didn't take them long!
The modem disconnected for about 3 minutes so I picked up the phone. Talk about crystal clear!