cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spelling

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Spelling

Could someone please arrange for Bob Pullens spelling to be checked before he sends any more emails?
22 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Spelling

I'm not sure anywhere on the forum is suitable for comments like that, let alone General Chit Chat-- why don't you mention it to him in a PM if you're that concerned?

Mind you don't make any mistakes from now on in the forums or you might get picked up on it!
N/A

Spelling

I would imagine that getting the message across is more important than spelling.

We all make mistakes/typos...

I know I do. Wink
N/A

Spelling

Thats the last straw! I hate people who cant type, I am requesting my MAC!

shellsong
Grafter

Spelling

Ay thort yood orlreddy gott itt Pheeer!
craigbrass
Grafter

Spelling

I question why spelling actually matters tbh on forums / tickets. I think picking up on it is just nit picking!
holdtight
Grafter

Spelling

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

So i dont think the odd typo really matters in the larger scale of things do you ?
vic_newey
Grafter

Spelling

discounting people with dyslexia -its the apalling state of our education system where even teachers can no longer spell correctly, added to that is text language & the dissapearing of the letter'T' hence I am writing this on my compyu -a & viewing it on my monni-a :roll:

EDIT: No-one noticed my spelling mistakes then :shock:
N/A

Spelling

the dissapearing of the letter'T'

Who nicked the 'T'? I hink we need i back righ now... :|
joncooper
Grafter

Spelling

I don't think a typo in a forum or txt message is important or should even be mentioned, but professional communication from a business should always be checked properly.

and that 'research by cambridge university' is untrue, no-one at cambridge has any clue where that started.
N/A

Spelling

Amazing though isnt it that I could actually read it first time without a hitch.

So what would we rather have. Plusnet spend more time checking spelling and grammer, or as they are and answering tickets and phones. Hmm, this is a hard one, someone please help me :lol:
Community Veteran

Spelling

Personally, what I find shocking is that no-one's picked milton373 up on his missing apostrophe yet. Tongue

I'm afraid that I'm in the group of people who think others should take care with spelling etc. all the time, rather than just in official documentation etc.. A language's development occurs through the way people use it - hence 'to google' becoming an official verb in the OED. Therefore, if everyone continues to abuse the English language, I think that over time, many of the wonderful nuances of the language are going to be eradicated, which will make the language generally less successful at doing the job it currently does.

For example: may vs. can. Technically, asking if you may do something is quite different to asking if you can do something... but who actually considers the distinction when asking if it's possible for them to do something? Admittedly, even I often don't, as the interchangeability of 'may' and 'can' has become generally accepted in the English language, so few people bother to think about differentiating between the two. However, being aware of that, I do at least try to remember to use the correct word...

So, yes, I feel everyone should make an effort with the English language, irrespective of which medium is being used. Although I suppose I could be persuaded to make an exception for text messages, as they're limited to 160 characters per message... although having said that, I still write out everything in full!

(Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.)

Edit: I should just clarify that I'm not adverse to the odd typo - everybody makes those. However, when people actually don't know how to spell fairly basic words, then yes, I do roll my eyes a little.
joncooper
Grafter

Spelling

glad it's not just me who writes text messages out in full, with punctuation and Capitals too I hope.
N/A

Re: Spelling

Could someone please arrange for Bob Pullens spelling to be checked before he sends any more emails?

Is there a Bod Pullens employed by PlusNet plc? :|
shellsong
Grafter

Spelling

Let's not nitpick-- He got it wrong by implying Bob Pullen was plural and you got it wrong by calling him Bod (or hab you god a code id de dose?)! Tongue