cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spelling forum....

N/A

Spelling forum....

Do you reckon there's a demand for a "how to spell thing correct like what I do" forum?

:deadhead:
20 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Spelling forum....

NAh theyr 1s nae nead fur it we kan oll spel heer.

:kitty:
N/A

Thawt sew.... jest a sudgeshchun tho!

:p
elton
Grafter

>
> Thawt sew.... jest a sudgeshchun tho!
>
> :p

I realise you're joking by the way. But I'd like to see an automated system of rejection of poor spelling to a Babel Bin. So if more than (say) 5% of the words in a post were unrecognisable by a spell checker, the post was sent to the Babel Bin. They could do the same with bad grammar too, and dump things like "I realise your joking".
I might be accused of being pedantic, but the whole point of having a national language, is to allow effective communications. If everyone went off and invented their own spelling and grammar (as many seem to do), how would we communicate?

--
Skonko!
N/A

Im guilty . both bad grammar and spelling.
N/A

> >
> > Thawt sew.... jest a sudgeshchun tho!
> >
> > :p
>
> I realise you're joking by the way. But I'd like to see an automated system of rejection of poor spelling to a Babel Bin. So if more than (say) 5% of the words in a post were unrecognisable by a spell checker, the post was sent to the Babel Bin. They could do the same with bad grammar too, and dump things like "I realise your joking".
> I might be accused of being pedantic, but the whole point of having a national language, is to allow effective communications. If everyone went off and invented their own spelling and grammar (as many seem to do), how would we communicate?
>
>
> --
> Skonko!
>

Blimey! A man after my own heart!! What we need then is a word crunch engine that doesn't make corrections but instead rejects the dross and charges the sender lots of dosh as a penalty! All proceeds to a charitable cause!

What really bugs me is the upsurge of ali-g speak. It's maybe ok to listen to it but to have to read it as well causes me problems. Maybe I'm getting old!

Well meduck, I'm off dahn the tahn nah! Wot yo doin?
N/A

Ok I’ll be serious this time. Sending people’s posts to a babble bin because of bad spelling can cause problems. Not everybody can spell right in a certain language, for example I communicate with people from all over the world from Russia to every country in Europe, Australia, America, Canada, and Argentina even Israel and we talk in one language and that is English. Now I would not expect someone from a country where English is not their first language to be able to talk in English in a perfect dialect, let alone actually spell in it but you would not allow them to post because of this, by sending their post to a babble bin. I also communicate with a person that is blind and he is reliant on the computer to make sure that there are no spelling mistakes, which does not also work right all the time, you would also send this persons post to a babble bin. Then there are also people in this world that cant spell right because they suffer from dyslexia, it is not there problem that their spelling can not be 100% perfect but once again you would send all their posts to a babble bin. To me to do this to all these different people for reasons out of their control is a little bit ignorant and obnoxious. I know what you are trying to get at but if you have a look at history, you will see that the way people talk and even spell has changed over the century’s and it is not going to stop just because some people do not like it.
N/A

Erm..... I don't really think that anyone was seriously suggesting babble-bins or anything like it. I'll belt up then.

Sad
N/A

I wonder what some postings sound like to a visually impaired person using a speech synthesizer.
elton
Grafter

Within our national boundaries, we accept certain conventions in order to co-exist. For example, we drive on the left, we trade using the Pound, and we speak and write using the English language. If a person has a problem using the English language because of disability, I have every sympathy with them. But I see no reason to adjust my standards to the extent of trying to decipher some meaning from a seemingly random sequence of characters appearing in a post on this or any other British based forum.

('Babel Bin', contrived from the Old Testament story of 'The Tower of Babel'.)

> Ok I’ll be serious this time. Sending people’s posts to a babble bin because of bad spelling can cause problems. Not everybody can spell right in a certain language, for example I communicate with people from all over the world from Russia to every country in Europe, Australia, America, Canada, and Argentina even Israel and we talk in one language and that is English. Now I would not expect someone from a country where English is not their first language to be able to talk in English in a perfect dialect, let alone actually spell in it but you would not allow them to post because of this, by sending their post to a babble bin. I also communicate with a person that is blind and he is reliant on the computer to make sure that there are no spelling mistakes, which does not also work right all the time, you would also send this persons post to a babble bin. Then there are also people in this world that cant spell right because they suffer from dyslexia, it is not there problem that their spelling can not be 100% perfect but once again you would send all their posts to a babble bin. To me to do this to all these different people for reasons out of their control is a little bit ignorant and obnoxious. I know what you are trying to get at but if you have a look at history, you will see that the way people talk and even spell has changed over the century’s and it is not going to stop just because some people do not like it.

--
Skonko!
wandelaar
Grafter

I'm more concerned that future generations are being 'educated' in the UK to use and accept american spellings such as 'color' and 'center'.

I have been told that young children in the education system in the UK are currently being taught that both of these are correct as well as the British spellings of course.

Also, why can't software developers produce proper UK versions of software? I accept that some do, but alas many don't. I guess that Americans invented English.

Are we really becoming the 52nd or is it 53rd state? I hope not.

Dave

N/A

Actually i think its because i spend half my life texting on a mobile phone. Kinda undoes everything you was taught at school.
N/A

> I wonder what some postings sound like to a visually impaired person using a speech synthesizer.

A very interesting comment: I'm visually impared (but don't use speech software) but many of my blind friends do, and you can make the computer pronounce a word better sometimes by deliberately spelling it wrong. One example with a name would be the Dutch or Hungarian name, "Marika", the computer reads it just as it's written but in some cases the pronunciation would be "Mareeka".
N/A

I'm so paranoid now I'll be checking my replies through Word before posting them!! Smiley

N/A

I think most educated blind people know what's being said assuming everything is spelled ok even if their screen reader doesn't actually pronounce a word correctly. Why should this happen? Because most of the screen reader software comes from....America. Not only that, but because of the complicated nature of the English language it must be damned difficult to program it with every correct pronunciation.

Upon experimenting with a few words it is possible to get the correct pronunciation with a variation on the correct spelling of a particular word as stated earlier.