cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtouch usb modem

N/A

Speedtouch usb modem

i am trying to connect to f9 broadband using Speedtouch 330 usb on HP laptop running Windows XP home edition. In instructions from f9 the Data Link Encapsulation is quoted as PPPoA but when I try to configure the connection the only option I get is PPPoE which f9 says will not connect - it doesn't. Any ideas how to activate PPPoA?
Regards,
Peter
3 REPLIES
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi Peter,

Can I just check this with you, on the back of the modem where you plugin the various cables make sure you havent plugged in the cable for an ethernet cable which would be an RJ45 jack anyway (if there was one?) In theory you should have 1x cable for power supply, x1 cable from modem to USB socket on laptop and x1 cable from modem into master BT phone socket or wall plate.

**In the modem setup make sure you have installed the correct drivers for the device these should be WAN drivers (NOT Lan!!).

**As you've decribed it, it does sound abit strange that PPPoA is greyed out which tends to suggest that it (the modem setup) thinks your using ethernet to connect to F9. Yes! your quite right it should be PPPoA or a connection made over an ATM (as in BT's network) system.

**If the worst comes to the worst, frankly just uninstall teh whole shurbang and start again from scratch (make sure you reboot the machine if your going to do that before the re-install again).

Ivan
N/A

Speedtouch usb modem

Hi,
Problem now solved. Once I used the Speedtouch dial up icon it connected straight away!
Thanks for your help
Peter
N/A

Getting the dam thing connected?? Ivan

Hi Pete,

Ahh!! Yes!! that makes sense, some ADSL modems do create a basic dialup networking (DUN) setup and put a short cut on the desktop. This usually has most of the correct settings & enough to get a user connected, especially if your not fully conversant with all the technical settings required, can be abit of a nightmare for a newbie or even an oldbie for that matter too!! :lol:

Ivan