cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Educational Needs Debate

Community Veteran

I thought it might be a good idea to have a civil disscusion on special educational needs, what various terms mean, how the needs can effect people and how people without SEN (Special Educational Needs) view them.

I have Dyspraxia which can mean many things, but for me it means I have messy and extremley slow handwriting and my hand starts to ache quite quickly when writing. While this is quite mild in comparision to some of the other possible effects of dyspraxia it definatley still has effects for example if I had no help in exams I wouldn't finish them. Fortunatley I was able to use a Laptop and have extra time in my GCSE's so it hasn't held me back at all.

One thing I hate is people calling SEN a disability even if they mean well, i'm not disabled and the dyspraxia has not held me back it just means I needed a little more help with my writing or use of a computer so I can type (I'm fairly fast at typing).
11 REPLIES
N/A

I beleive that if people have special education needs then that should be supplied. for two, what I think are obvious reasons.
1) It is in society's interest that everyone is educated as well as possible, so these people should be treated differently to achieve that.
2) Similarly by giving these people the special treatment that they need the average person is not held back by the "slow" (excuse the word, but I can think of no other) people.
Also I firmly beleive that people with higher intellect and learning abilities should also be treated differently.
Community Veteran

Technically (not sure of the act Mum might know, i'll ask her later) the lessons should be adapted to each individuals ability so those that are good at a subject get pushed harder and those who aren't get the help they need. Some teachers manage this extremely well, others not so well.
N/A

when i was at school i know it took them till primary 4 till they picked up i was dyselxic or by the researches terms "thick" I had all the comman signs of dyslexia but they just wanted to lable me slow, thick and bad speller.

took me years to get to what i manage now.....|English teacher even tried to get me to do Higher English lol took all my efforts to manage to get a A in intermediate 2 (Scottish qualifications) simply because i studied like mad learnt all words i knew i need to know eg names of books authors words like metaphore all crap that is generally used to describe english crap.

I have to admit because ifound it hard to do english i generally kept as far back as possible from it as it felt demeaning to me....

but i can be glad to say that from entering high school i had no real help except for few times with their special needs ppl but generally did it all under my own will and my own stuborness to win.

I have never had issues with computing,maths,sciences all of them i exceled at especially when maths are involved.

with the correct help its possible to either compete in other areas or generally get to a point where it is not noticiable..

i generally find a different word if i cant spell the other and such like....its all about finding strengths in your weaknesses
Community Veteran

Sorry for being so thick, but is intermeadiate 2 equivalent to GCSE - if so an A is brilliant!
N/A

it similar to standard grade higher so what ever is a gcse highest is....ye A is good but it took alot of bloody effert in my part....got a letter home from the teacher saying if i dont try harder i wont pass ......lol i dont like being told crap like that so i showed him lol
LiamM
Grafter

About 3 months before my GCSEs I was called to the hall by my school along with about 20 others from my year and they told us they were concerned we wouldn't get the 5 A-C minimum to get into college.

As it happens, I didn't get below C in a single GCSE, with 3 A's, 8 B's and a C. That showed them!
N/A

lol exactly

teachers need to learn

tell there pupils there crap at it and they try harder to just show teacher they speaking out of their arse lol....

i knew quite a few ppl like that who just couldnt be assed and they aint gone ayway at moment anyway
Community Veteran

None of my teachers told me i wasn't going to get good grades, but I think IT only predicted me a B (which is damn good anyhow) but the course was so eays I knew I could do better and did a got an A I was aiming for A* myself but as I said a B is damn good so an A is even better the annoying thing is that I'm normally better at the coursework and the weighting was 60 coursework 40 exam I got A* in the exam but A in the coursework hence overall A!

At the start of year 10 we took a "Yellis" test to find out what it though our grades would be It cam out D for me and the one teacher who used those grades I got an A for it.

Anyway I'm rabitting here.
N/A

in my experience and opinion the biggest waste of space in school is computing...it teaches you jack about university computing at all.

especially if it called information systems.....and the teachers tell ou you wont need programming what the hell every uni course worth a grain of salt be it multimedia inforation systems all make you programe for the first year.....schools need to get a grip and tech students somemething worth while.
Community Veteran

Ditto that, the official text book for my IT GCSE said, that hard disks cannot be removed from the computer :shock:
Metalguru
Grafter

Liam's post about grades reminded me of something nice from my past.

My brother was never classified as SEN (cos that wasn't around in the 60's), but he was never the sharpest tool in the box.

Come the time of the exams (GCSE's in those days) my parents wrere dreading his results.

The day came and the envelope dropped through the door.

My parents were stunned, for all the subjects my brother had got "A B".

He was a little surprised himself.

The following day another letter came through the door from the school headmaster. He wished to know why my brother was ABSENT for all the exams.

He was never a great school kid, but I'm a firm believer in everyone is good at something.

He found his niche sailing, and is now one of the top sailing instructors in the UK ........... More importantly his job is what he loves. And how many of us can say that?