cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam and email boxes.

N/A

Spam and email boxes.

If i were to set up a mailbox or two to stop the spam mail,what would happen to the mail server over time as the spam mail is still building up on the server?
Would this spam get culled or would this eventually stop the mail server and affect any mail boxes? Sad
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Spam and email boxes.

I read somewhere that you can raise a support ticket and request that any messages in your default mailbox get redirected to the F9 blackhole. This would mean you only accumulate messages in your named mailboxes and the SPAM and other incorrectly addressed mail to your account gets automatically deleted. HOWEVER a few months back a lot of people using this technique lost their incoming messages when F9 lost everyones configured mailboxes (for a couple of days) and ALL incoming emails went to the associated default mailbox and was subsequently lost forever !

The second answer to your question might be found in the "email FAQ"
4. What are my email storage limits?
There are no limits for email storage except for unread emails. If you have more than 25Mb of unread email on our servers for more than 30 days we will remove the unread emails without further notice. We do this to make sure our email network runs optimally all the time for all of our customers.

So theoretically it should start disappearing on it's own.
However, about a month ago in this forum, a customer had exceeded the 25Mb limit and was unable to access any email at all, and the 'best' that F9 support could offer was to delete all his messages - and start over !. So probably not a good idea.

What I do, is setup different message download rules in my email client for each mailbox, including the default one, so all my mailboxes get processed on each <send/receive> event.
This way I have control over what I move to my inbox, and what gets filtered out as Blacklisted/SPAM/Incorrectly addressed/... and so on. This results in all my mailboxes being regularly emptied, although I have used download bandwidth on many unwanted messages, I collect all the SPAM etc and use it to train my baysian filter and blacklist generator. While you could say that I 'suffer' all this SPAM by downloading and storing it all, the fact that it is now totally automatic means that I rarely get any junk in my inbox, I have NEVER had a false positive, and I have a huge collection of sample messages that can be used to train other filters (like the new F9 baysian filter).
N/A

Spam and email boxes.

Hi purleigh,
Thank you for the in depth information,very interesting.
I would prefer not to download all the spam to my pc,then have it filtered by different download message rules,though i can see the reason for it(you are in total control).

One idea i was thinking of was for f9 to bounce any incoming email back that was not one of my mail boxes,i am not sure if this is possble,this would stop the build up of spam on the mail server. Sad

Also when setting up a mailbox for use to blackhole,can you use the *(wildcard) character in part of the name?
So if i were receiving spam as say zabcdef@,and also zxyzabc@,could i use z*@ ?
If the wildcard character worked this would send any mail starting with z to a mailbox that would be then blackholed!
N/A

Spam and email boxes.

Oh feck!
I have just tried the * as part of the mailbox,but it is not allowed!
Oh well,such is life!! Evil
orrery
Grafter

Spam and email boxes.

One idea i was thinking of was for f9 to bounce any incoming email back

Bounce it to where?

If you are considering bouncing mail back to the 'from' or 'reply-to' addresses then I wouldn't advise it. Remember that these addresses are either false (and may bounce), or selected from the list of victims (in which case you make someone else's spam problem worse).

If I receive such a 'bounce' I will report it (as I do any spam) and the sending server (i.e. your server) will be added to the blacklists.

So, the effect is to add to the problem.

If you want to have some effect on spam, join spamcop (free) and report 'fresh' spam to get their sending servers blocked quickly. If you are prepared to pay US$30 per year, you can get a spamcop email address which will keep you almost spam free.

regards, Ian
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Spam and email boxes.

when setting up a mailbox for use to blackhole,can you use the *(wildcard) character in part of the name?
So if i were receiving spam as say zabcdef@,and also zxyzabc@,could i use z*@ ?
If the wildcard character worked this would send any mail starting with z to a mailbox that would be then blackholed!

Unless you have a specific mailbox name that is persistantly sent rubbish, what you need to do is NOT try and setup mailboxes or redirections to send the SPAM to the blackhole, as you will forever be creating new names as the address the SPAM is sent to changes.

In the simplest case, what you need to do is setup mailboxes and redirects for the addresses you want to keep, and just let anything else be directed to your default mailbox (which will be almost entirely SPAM, or valid email where the sender has spelt your mailbox incorrectly !).

So in your 'Email settings' page, it should look like this :-

maximod------| default |
postmaster---| redirect | your_inbox@maximod.f9.co.uk
your_inbox----| mailbox |
wifes_inbox--| mailbox |
work------------| redirect | your_inbox@maximod.f9.co.uk
newsletters---| redirect | your_inbox@maximod.f9.co.uk
ebay------------| redirect | your_inbox@maximod.f9.co.uk

So you collect all your messages from your_inbox@maximod.f9.co.uk
The wife collects hers from wifes_inbox@maximod.f9.co.uk

Then any SPAM ends up in the default mailbox, which you can either :-
1) Set an email client rule to download and delete (or file)
2) Regularly use WebMail and select delete all from default mailbox
3) Request F9 to redirect the default mailbox to the blackhole
4) Set email client rule to do a server side POP3 delete message

Note using the above method of mailboxes/redirects you MUST either have a 'postmaster' mailbox which is regular collected OR use a redirect as shown to direct your 'postmaster' address to a known mailbox.
It is in F9's terms and conditions that you read email sent to your 'postmaster' mailbox.
orrery
Grafter

Spam and email boxes.

So in your 'Email settings' page, it should look like this :-
maximod------| default |
postmaster---| redirect | your_inbox@maximod.f9.co.uk
...snip...
ebay------------| redirect | your_inbox@maximod.f9.co.uk

As per the ebay address, it is wise to set up a 'diposable' redirect, such as:
newsgroups1206@maximod.f9.co.uk
...which can be used for exposing to the net.
When it becomes overwhelmed with spam (although the spam starts within a couple of weeks, it doesn't build up for months) simply create a new one as newsgroups0307@... etc etc.

I keep two going at any one time, a current disposable address and the previous one (just in case of genuine mail). You can redirect these into a permanent account that can be 'popped' directly, but make the name obscure to prevent it being discovered by a dictionary attack on the server e.g.:
ha5yge7_sl8g3.sl0.34a1@maximod.f9.co.uk

regards, Ian