cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solwise SAR110 router set-up probs

N/A

Solwise SAR110 router set-up probs

Just wondered if anyone can help me here.

My plan was to set up the router along with my home network so that everyone could access the Internet - Unfortunately this has gone slightly pear shaped.

I've set the router up by following the quick install instructions via the web-based interface of the router and re-booted. Although all the status lights are green I cannot get any of the machines to access the internet. Figured that it could be the firewall but that is disabled and I have tried it with various flavours of Windows (Win 98, 2K, 2K server and XP pro) but to no avail. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I can ping the router from any of the machines, I use static IPs of the range 172.16.155.0 with subnet 255.255.0.0. I have changed the router's IP to the same network.

If you need any more technical info then please reply.

Thanks in advance.

Daz

3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Solwise SAR110 router set-up probs

> Just wondered if anyone can help me here.
>
> My plan was to set up the router along with my home network so that everyone could access the Internet - Unfortunately this has gone slightly pear shaped.
>
> I've set the router up by following the quick install instructions via the web-based interface of the router and re-booted. Although all the status lights are green I cannot get any of the machines to access the internet. Figured that it could be the firewall but that is disabled and I have tried it with various flavours of Windows (Win 98, 2K, 2K server and XP pro) but to no avail. Has anyone got any suggestions?
>
> I can ping the router from any of the machines, I use static IPs of the range 172.16.155.0 with subnet 255.255.0.0. I have changed the router's IP to the same network.
>
> If you need any more technical info then please reply.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Daz
>
>
I had this problem as well. The router comes with newer firmware than that for the instructions!!

If you go to the quick config screen, there is a bit for defualt route - this is disabled, change it to enable, commit and reboot nad you'll be in business
N/A

> I had this problem as well. The router comes with newer firmware than that for the instructions!!
>
> If you go to the quick config screen, there is a bit for defualt route - this is disabled, change it to enable, commit and reboot nad you'll be in business
>

Many Thanks Steve,

I will try this tonight - hope it works.

Daz

N/A

> I can ping the router from any of the machines, I use static IPs of the range 172.16.155.0 with subnet 255.255.0.0. I have changed the router's IP to the same network.

Being able to ping the router is good, but not sufficient (as you have found out for yourself!) If you have assigned your PCs IP addresses in network 172.16.0.0 and the router's IP address on its LAN side is also in the same network, then pinging the router is a pretty trivial matter, because your PCs can tell the destination is on the same network as they are, and they can simply send to it directly.

But what happens if you try pinging (I'm making up an address here) 212.159.x.x? Your PCs can tell from the network address that that's not on their own network, so where should they send the request? They no longer know where to send. You need to provide your PCs with a "default route" which tells them to send the request to the IP address you've given to the (LAN side) of your ADSL router. Look in your TCP/IP properties for an entry box for the default route.

But this is still probably not enough. You don't normally specify an IP address, but a hostname (not "212.159.x.x" but "portal.force9.net" instead), so your PCs need to know how to resolve hostnames (DNS). It may be that your ADSL router will relay DNS requests (in which case you can specify its LAN address as a DNS server in the PCs' setups), or you can simply specify the Force9 DNS servers, 212.159.11.150 and 212.159.13.150. On my own network, I have a little DNS server (for my own hostname resolutions), so I specify: my DNS server address, my ADSL router address, and then the 2 Force9 DNS servers.