cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solwise 110

N/A

Solwise 110

I have two minor problems

1) When the fax is working the ASDL stops working?

2) Not sure about port forwarding the manual is not to good?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Solwise 110

strathtay

1) When the fax is working the ASDL stops working?

Is the fax on a filtered phone socket? See the Tutorials & FAQs: ADSL: Wiring and Filters for more information.

2) Not sure about port forwarding the manual is not to good?

Can you be more specific about what you want to do? Port forwarding allows you to make a computer on your LAN, such as a Web or FTP server, available to Internet users without requiring you to obtain a public IP address for that computer. The computer's private IP address is translated to your public IP address in all incoming and outgoing data packets. See this Explaining DMZ’s and Port Forwarding article for a better explanation.

For more information on setting up a SAR-110, you should look at the Solwise SAR-110 Forum.

Hope that helps.

Neil
N/A

Solwise 110

I need to use my home computer (WK2 or XP+Cable ) to acces work (W2K+Solwise SAR110)

tried port forwarding but the SAR110 doesnt like it, tried pc-anywhere and it works from work to home but not home to work! and its far to slow.

Basically I need to make the home pc part of the work network so the home pc can map to the works c drive and the client sw on the home pc can "see" the server sw on the works c drive.
N/A

Re: faxing & ADSL

Hi Strathtay,
The problem you describe with your fax sounds to me like its stamping all over your broadband frequencies. Firstly ADSL connectivity should when working correctly (with a filter) be split into x3 seperated frequencies or bands this is done with the filter. Its the job of the filter to keep the x3 frequencies apart from each other.

Your Fax should be operating in the lower frequency end of the spectrum i.e. only across the sound or voice spectrum (that frequency that is reserved for voice calls only) Your fax should only run at 28,000K or 33,000K if my memory serves me correctly. Yes! its braodband but faxes still use the slower data transfer rates as far as I know.

If your ADSL data connection stops working when the fax runs I would suspect strongly that the fax is trying to grab more frequency than it should do. I would firstly suggest that (if you can?? try and borrow a different filter/splitter to test this line and process).

You dont say what kind of Fax we are talking about here? is it a proper FAX machine or faxing from windows desktop, or some form of faxing software??

Ivan Cool
N/A

Solwise 110

I need to use my home computer (WK2 or XP+Cable ) to acces work (W2K+Solwise SAR110)

So you have cable at home connecting to . ADSL at work.

Basically I need to make the home pc part of the work network so the home pc can map to the works c drive and the client sw on the home pc can "see" the server sw on the works c drive.

It sounds like you would need to create a VPN (Virtual Private Network) across the Internet between your home PC(s) and your work network. This would allow your PC(s) to appear as if they were on the same network as your work computers.

To do this, you would need the following:

• Running Windows 2000 Server at work
  • Permission to modify the server's configuration (i.e. install 'Routing and Remote Access' on the server) - details of how to do this are on Microsoft's website - this Microsoft document is as good as any to start with.
  • An understanding of what security risk you are exposing by running such a service

Your home PC (W2K or XP) already has the client software necessary to us a VPN.

If you feel uncomfortable with this, particularly the security aspects, then DON'T do it. To keep your work network safe, you must understand the implications.

Regards

Neil
N/A

Solwise 110

Its a real ax all be it an older model, the fax, visa machine and ADSL modem are all on the same line I have the Splitter into the wall socket. then the modem aand and extention cable into the splitter, at the end of the extention i and another splitter and a doubler into the phone jack for the fax and visa machine?