cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow graphics offline

N/A

Slow graphics offline

My screensavers run very very slowly as do my animated GIFs But when the GIFs are played in my browser they work fine. When I test my screensavers they work fine. What is happening?

Anas
10 REPLIES
N/A

Slow graphics offline

Hi Anas,

Well without a little more information about what your running (which OS or version of windows) and what the exact screensaver is? its abit hard to comment on the screen saver running slow. GIF images are specifically designed for use within HTML (web pages) or should I say they are best suited to webpage's due to size & loading speed. So these images will run best in a web browser, so thats no suprise really. But of course they can be and are used else where.

So the question I would be asking myself if I was in your position is what have I got on my system that might cause images or animation to display slowly. The answer I'm sure is either some other background process or application that is taking CPU or memory resouces and hence slowing other things down. It might be that your system needs some futher tweeking or possibly some programs could be removed or some system services turned off all together.

**One area worth looking at if your running Win2K or XP is that both these versions of windows can be extremely graphically hungy, I mean they gobble a huge (waste) amounts of system resources to produce fancy but useless graphical effects. When I install XP or do a system rebuild with XP the first thing I do is get rid of LUNA the horrible graphics inteface and turn off the rubbish. XP can fly then and its a very good version of windows, even more so if the system services are also tweaked carefully.

Ivan
N/A

Rubbish

Thanks Ivan ,
Please tell me more. My system is: AMD Sempron(tm) 2200+ 1.51 GHz 256 RAM XP pfofessional. I have problems with all screensavers from my own to the standard windows old hats. How do I get rid of LUNA and the other 'rubbish'?
N/A

Slow graphics offline

You could also download / install and update microsoft anti-spyware, it will look for any nasties running in the background, also A2 (A squared) which is also free.

A2 from http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

MS anti-spy from

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
N/A

XP Tweaks

Hi Anas,

OK so to turn off LUNA and run XP lean & mean, there are several tweaks that I can suggest. The most immediate and powerfull are as follows:-

1) Goto My computer, right click on this icon and from the small floating menu select "properties", next you should see system properties page which has several tabs. From these tabs select "the advanced" tab. On the advanced tab there are a number of different options. Select the "Performace option" i.e. settings button. You should now see a diaglogue page called "performance options" which as x2 tabs, first select "visual effects" and now select the radio button entitled " Adjust for best performace" and bye doing this XP should switch off all the graphics gobbling stuff and then gives you the second or hidden classic interface which is more like windows 2000. Doing this makes an BIG difference to your system and free's up vast amounts of resources as the memory & cpu arent bogged down with stupid visual effects and user clutter.

2) The second tweak which is also useful if you have a second physical hard drive on your system is to add or create a second page file (but NOT if you only have a second disk partition this needs to be on a second seperate physical drive) having x2 paging files allows you to create more virtual memory and this will also help boost XP's performance. The rule of thumb here is too adjust the page file size too roughly the size of your exsisting physical memory plus abit more. so for 256MB of RAM you could have a page file of 512K to say 700K. (be craefull not to make the page files to big though as they can defragment too). This can be done on the Performace options page,advanced tab, see virtual memory options, click on the change button to see the available options.

3) Other tweaks you can make are, see settings, select task bar & start menu, you can change the start menu back too a simple single classic windows menu system (NOT the horrible x3 split start menu), also you can change to icons on the start menu to smaller size and this makes the start menu far more compact and simpler to see & work with.

4) Other system tweaks are a little more advanced and would require to login as admins on XP, this teak involves turning off numerous XP system services which MS has turned on bye default when you install XP out of the box many of these are NOT useful or are completely irrelevant to a user. There is a large number of system services which run XP at a service & programming level which can simply be turned off and bye doing this XP releases resources you can use to make your machine faster or perform better. Its NOT simple and does require a pretty good level of understanding about what each service does & why and what impact this can have if turned off. But having said that, its worth boning up on this as the results are worthwhile though.

Ivan Cool
N/A

Slow graphics offline

You could also do with at least another 256mb of ram, XP pro really doesnt like working with less than 512mb, the more you can add the better it will be and you will be surprised at the speed increase.
N/A

RAM

Hi,

Yes! agree with the previous comments about the memory MS operating systems have become more & more demanding in terms of memory and XP is no exception either.

Ivan
N/A

Slow graphics offline

Thanks Jim but I've got antivirus and anti spyware on full blast recently.
Thanks Ivan, I Just switched my XP to 'best performance' and wow retro or what? Anyway I still have the screensaver problem. I don't think that it's my PC's performance as although it may not be supersonic, it isn't exactly ancient. The screensavers work OK when I test them but not when they come on automatically.
Any other suggestions?
N/A

Slow graphics offline

Start/run type in "msconfig" without the quotes, press 'enter' chose the 'startup' tab, and untick everything that you don't need to run.

A lot of programmes like office, and others are put in the startup to load faster, which actually slows your puter down by using more resources.
N/A

Slow graphics offline

Thankyou for the tweak tip cyteck, I hope you don't mind but I have also posted it on another forum.
N/A

TWEAK TWEAK

Hi,

Thats fine! no problem just be a tad careful NOT to post the same items across more than 1 F9 forum as F9 do tend to get a wee bit upset or annoyed if you do this more than once or twice.

**You can find many useful & interesting tips & tweeks on the following web site http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp

**Another tweek I particularly like in XP is the "menu speed up" but this does involve a registry hack so its only for users who feel enturely comfortable with openning & editing the windows XP registry. The speed at which the start menus, & program menus pop up can be changed to make it much faster and more responsive.

Ivan