cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speed, 66KBps on 1MB Connection

N/A

When im downloading any file, any server, i get a speed of about 66-70KBps and the servers support upto 200KBps (usually) and even my own server (F9 Host), I have no firewall and ive got no viruses/spyware and all updates installed. can anyone help?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Speeds

Maybe you have a virus responsible for slowing down your connection or lots of back door trojens running hidden processes gobbling up your bandwidth? :lol: only joking!!

But joking aside why dont you have a firewall or virus detection on a server it doesnt make any sense to me, I used to work for a website design company and ALL of our web servers sat behined a powerful PIX firewall and all servers were scanned frequently with anti virus software, we always kept our servers updated with the latest patches etc. I think you leave yourself extremely vulnerable otherwise. Bandwidth issues aside.

**I think the speed of connects is dependant on multiple factors which you need to take into account. Some of these factors are: Yes! the power of the server itself to serve page requests, the actual location of your server, the size & speed of the actual internet links to & from your server, how many hops away from the viewer, the amount of international or national internet traffic at the time, the time of day, & so on I could go on.

**There might NOT be anything wrong at all but speed testing your own connection/s might be useful.

**I find the internet traffic report a useful tool http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

Ivan
N/A

close all applications, and check the inbound and outbound network trafffic on your connections in my network places. Just let the pc sit idle, and then look at the traffic flow. If it is still sending information, then something is up.

Check you netstat output log, and see if there is anything in there. If you have a firewall, check for all unauthorised connection attempts to the internet.

CLOSE ALL TORRENT SOFTWARE DOWN.

This is very important on windows machines, and the traffic in the background on some clients which is need to maintain its connection to other hosts, is unreal. I have seen time and time again with people who run this kind of software, and always end up having connection issues.

Download a file abotu 1 meg time and time again to make sure the connection and traffic is consistent each time. Mirc from ftp.newnet.com is usually quite good. I think newnet have coupled atm 622 links, so they should give you decent bandwidth.
N/A

tried my pc again today and i got 115KBps, but thanks for the help
N/A

Thats interesting as mine seemed to slow down a lot this weekend but its better now. Id always say its not worth mentioning unless it lasts several days.

Its quite normal for your exchange to occasionally get highly loaded (that dang contention kicking in again) especially towards the weekend, its the nature of DSL.
N/A

Thats interesting as mine seemed to slow down a lot this weekend but its better now. Id always say its not worth mentioning unless it lasts several days.

Its quite normal for your exchange to occasionally get highly loaded (that dang contention kicking in again) especially towards the weekend, its the nature of DSL

yeah thats probably true because i have a friend in yapton (location o) who uses the internet constantly and his right next to it. he has about 4 lines with 2MB each running into same router thingie and his kids are always using it. the connections are reasonably cheap for him because he builds people and reccomends his ISP to them and nearly all of them joining it, so his referal count is very high so its cheaper.