cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

N/A

Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

Not pleased with my dsl connection speeds. to say that i'm payin £28 odd for adsl and sometimes my connection speeds are worse than dialup. 90% of the time my downstream speed is lower than my upstream.

This is the best speed i have had in a week:

Downstream 253 Kbps (31.6 KB/sec) 290 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 80 Kbps (10.0 KB/sec) 92 Kbps (inc. overheads)

This is one of the bad ones:

Downstream 57 Kbps (7.1 KB/sec) 65 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 79 Kbps (9.9 KB/sec) 90 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Customer support have told me "its contention". Don't think so.....
I've been told it could be MTU or RWIN settings, and they have had reports from others about this...

Any IdesHuh?

ps. My modem is plugged straight into the main BT socket, no extention, no other phone and i have tried 3 different filters. Reinstalled my modem with latest drivers. Its doin my brain in now Smiley
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!REPLY

> Not pleased with my dsl connection speeds. to say that i'm payin £28 odd for adsl and sometimes my connection speeds are worse than dialup. 90% of the time my downstream speed is lower than my upstream.
>
> This is the best speed i have had in a week:
>
> Downstream 253 Kbps (31.6 KB/sec) 290 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> Upstream 80 Kbps (10.0 KB/sec) 92 Kbps (inc. overheads)
>
> This is one of the bad ones:
>
> Downstream 57 Kbps (7.1 KB/sec) 65 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> Upstream 79 Kbps (9.9 KB/sec) 90 Kbps (inc. overheads)
>
> Customer support have told me "its contention". Don't think so.....
> I've been told it could be MTU or RWIN settings, and they have had reports from others about this...
>
> Any IdesHuh?
>
> ps. My modem is plugged straight into the main BT socket, no extention, no other phone and i have tried 3 different filters. Reinstalled my modem with latest drivers. Its doin my brain in now Smiley

Hi,
Your NOT alone my ADSL connection speeds have also been exceptionally slow in the last few days. But I thought it might have been due to the storm conditions affecting power supplys which can have a knock on effect on people like BT & ISP's dont be too harsh on the carriers & ISP's they are on your side really. Things usually come right given the time even though its very annoying, broadband is NOT perfect but on the whole I feel like I get a fair deal from F9 & BT. Would be nice if the bandwidth could be brought back up though TRUE!!!.

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

> Not pleased with my dsl connection speeds. to say that i'm payin £28 odd for adsl and sometimes my connection speeds are worse than dialup. 90% of the time my downstream speed is lower than my upstream.
>
> This is the best speed i have had in a week:
>
> Downstream 253 Kbps (31.6 KB/sec) 290 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> Upstream 80 Kbps (10.0 KB/sec) 92 Kbps (inc. overheads)
>
> This is one of the bad ones:
>
> Downstream 57 Kbps (7.1 KB/sec) 65 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> Upstream 79 Kbps (9.9 KB/sec) 90 Kbps (inc. overheads)
>
> Customer support have told me "its contention". Don't think so.....
> I've been told it could be MTU or RWIN settings, and they have had reports from others about this...
>
> Any IdesHuh?
>
> ps. My modem is plugged straight into the main BT socket, no extention, no other phone and i have tried 3 different filters. Reinstalled my modem with latest drivers. Its doin my brain in now Smiley

Hi Simon, take a look here - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/mtu.asp - this has information on adjusting the MTU, I tried it a couple of days ago and it seems to have helped get my connection up to speed, e.g; just ran a speed test at http://monitor.force9.net and got 515.90kbps.
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

Looks like changing the MTU settings has helped. The latest speed test is as follows:

Downstream 451 Kbps (56.4 KB/sec) 518 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 279 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I'm gonna try it again in the morning but it should be okay. I've always had good stuff to say about f9 and have recomended them many times. It just gets annoying when i dont get whats expected. Looking forward to see how the platform upgrade helps things

Thanks for the help people.
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

I tried the link:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/mtu.asp

but unfortunately it seems that you can't alter the MTU settings in Win98(se). So it looks like I will be unable to get this working :-(

Also I am using a D-Link DSL-504 router/4-port hub, there doesn't seem to be any settings in here to change the MTU setting either.

So is there anything I can do?
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

If you go to http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html and download Dr TCP you can change the MTU with that.

Hope it helps.
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

> If you go to http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html and download Dr TCP you can change the MTU with that.
>
> Hope it helps.

Thanks I did see that, but I don't know what values to place in the other boxes. Also as it affects TCP/IP it would also affect my network (as I access the internet via my network, hence the router/hub combo unit). I'm not sure if it would have an adverse affect on my network performance.

If anyone can shed any more light on either of these (values for other boxes in Dr TCP and/or would it affect network performance) I would be grateful.

Thank you.
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

> > If you go to http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html and download Dr TCP you can change the MTU with that.
> >
> > Hope it helps.
>
> Thanks I did see that, but I don't know what values to place in the other boxes. Also as it affects TCP/IP it would also affect my network (as I access the internet via my network, hence the router/hub combo unit). I'm not sure if it would have an adverse affect on my network performance.
>
> If anyone can shed any more light on either of these (values for other boxes in Dr TCP and/or would it affect network performance) I would be grateful.
>
> Thank you.

Can you do this on an ordinary frog usb connection?
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

Yep. should be able too....
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

change it to what setting?
N/A

RE: Sloooooooooow Connections!!!

> change it to what setting?

I have been told they have fixed the problems.. must be a joke. Still loads of packet loss..a high ping to connect..was 17 and now varies up to 400

On testing at one of those testing sites..upstream is only 5.9kb/sec. I am not a happy bunny.

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 451 Kbps (56.4 KB/sec) 518 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 47 Kbps (5.9 KB/sec) 54 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Something is not right and it has been like this for about 2 weeks.