cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky - Help!

N/A

Sky - Help!

Dear all
Just wondered if anyone had Sky? And what the pros and cons are of the Sky+ box?
Also, I only have one phone socket, and once I get broadband the phone line will be chocca! Is there a '3-way' plug for a socket that will enable me to have the Sky, BB and phone connected together? Or am I looking at getting another phone line installed?
Thanks
Ally
12 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

Sky - Help!

I guess things can get messy, but here is a link for a 3 way plug http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp?q=telephone+adaptor>se=goog>kw=telephone+adapt....

Just get a good cable tidy Smiley some hardware can cause problems with BB, so I am told.
N/A

Sky - Help!

:? Can't seem to get through on that link.... can you give me the details please?
Thanks Smiley
Hope it doesn't muck up the BB... *worries*
N/A

Sky - Help!

I have the SKY+ and its a cracking piece of kit, watch one recorded proggie whilst recording two others...suits you sir!!

Am in the same situ 1 socket for the three things, it is a little messy, bearing in mind you need an adsl filter seperate for the sky box like you do have for the phone
N/A

Sky - Help!

Hope it doesn't muck up the BB... *worries*

i've got two sky+ boxes in my house, one of them shares the same phone socket as my BB, neither messes with my connection,
infact i think the sky+ hardly ever uses the line, only when you do some of the interactive stuff or vote on one of the telly programe's.
N/A

Sky - Help!

it does do calls to check to see if the line is still plugged in, SKY+ engineer said nearly once per week.... I know we had a letter telling us to plug it back in :-( :lol:
N/A

Sky - Help!

ah yes robynfali is right, IIRC you are contractually obliged to keep it connected to a landline, but only for the first year, then i think you can leave it unplugged if you want.

edited to correct robyinfali's name (from garfield Shockedops: )
N/A

Sky - Help!

lol@grake, robynfali or garfield no matter to me mate, prefer garfield actually, would love to change it but....

And yeah, I am gonna be sitting there after 11 months 29 days 23 hours 59 mins and 59 secs then I am gonna unplug it!!!
Midville
Grafter

Sky - Help!

Go to www.screwfix.com, and then search for telephone.
N/A

Sky - Help!

Why the need to unplug your box? Just curious?

IIRC the phonline is how you get shiny new channels? Or am I wrong?

Why wouldn't you want it plugged in? Mines never caused any problems. Also means that you can't us pay-per-view etc.
glyndev
Grafter

Sky - Help!

IIRC the phonline is how you get shiny new channels? Or am I wrong?

Wrong !. It doesn't have to be connected to the phone socket for the channel listing to be updated. This is done via a databurst over the satelite system. The same method is used to restrict and re enable your viewing if you pay your bill late.

Why wouldn't you want it plugged in? Mines never caused any problems. Also means that you can't us pay-per-view etc.

Mine never caused problems when connected to the phone line. It has now been disconnected for over 3 years since it was moved when decorating. We never use the interactive services or PPV so it doesn't matter that it is not connected.
Community Veteran

Sky - Help!

If you've got Sky+ it does need to be connected, mainly so they can spy on you I think and make sure you're not misusing your subscription somehow. Same with Mulitroom, both boxes need tobe on the same line, just to check you havent got it installed in another house.

Thats correct Sky+ doesn't use the phoneline for updates, unless you do a forced update and make it download from the line.

I also got one of them letters a while back Shockedops:
glyndev
Grafter

Sky - Help!

Maplin do a good range of telephone adapters and extensions.

They do a 4 way adaptor http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=907&TabID=1&source=12&doy=28m11

they also do a range of extension kits wich plug straight into your existing socket providing a double outlet there. and includes everything you need to install the extension http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=882&TabID=1&source=12&doy=28m11