cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sig size limit?

N/A

Sig size limit?

Is there a limit to the size (dimensions) and filesize of the pics you can put in your sigs?

Or is it a common sense issue?

You see i've got this 16mb bitmap thats 400x1500, would that be ok to put in there?

Wink
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sig size limit?

Basically, it all depends on what mood we're in. Wink

Thomas
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Sig size limit?

As you say I think it's more a common sense thing.

If it's too much, I'm sure you'll see the complaints soon enough.

The lot in here don't waste time in letting you know. :lol: :lol:
Community Veteran

Sig size limit?

Why on earth is this post in the Ideas and suggestions section? :?
Is it a suggestion that we all use massive pictures for our signatures.
Community Veteran

Sig size limit?

Good point John, I'll move it. Sorry I didn't spot it earlier. Shockedops:

Thomas
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sig size limit?

Well best to have a guide size in the FAQ atleast. The forum is a big beast and will grow as more people use it. With sigs/avatars it can get too big and as a result slower. So setting a limit early on will help.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Sig size limit?

Well, we do have a limit specified in the profile page: it's currently 80*80 and 10KB. While we're not strictly enforcing that limit, anyone we see going way over it will be asked to remove their avatar. Smiley

Thomas
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sig size limit?

Yes the avatars limit is set but no limit for sigs. Reading his first post inculding the smilie, I took it to mean he didn't want sigs that size but needed to know a guideline
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Sig size limit?

D'oh, sorry adp450. Shockedops:

Thomas
N/A

Sig size limit?

There is a 255 character limit to signatures, set in the ACP and you can see it via your profile.
N/A

Sig size limit?

however those 255 could be anything. 255 line breaks for example. that provides enough space to specify an URL for an image, which, as rbently pointed out, could easily be stupidly sized and any format (like his 400x1500, 16MB BMP).

I think this will have to be something that moderators and other members just keep an eye on and make their views known if sigs are too large. I don't think *anyone* wants to scroll 1500px down just to get past someone's sig.

It should probably be based upon both filesize and dimensions too. Dial-up users (and even ADSL to a certain extent) don't want to be waiting ages for a 16MB BMP to download but I have just created a 400x1500 blank image in Paint and saved it as a PNG. This gives me a file size of 398 bytes. Even dial-up users aren't going to notice that downloading but it'll require excessive scrolling.
Horizontal scrolling is another big problem, especially when you consider that some people still use 800x600 (and I wouldn't be too surprised if there was the occasional 640x480 user out there). It looks to me as if the Portal was designed for 800x600 as there is a permament white patch on the right of my browser window.

OK well I think I've written enough there, I'll now go off to bed seeing as it's 3:30 Smiley
Community Veteran

Sig size limit?

Yep, we're keeping our eyes open.

FWIW, I (though I don't know about the others) like to work using a "worst case scenario"... that is; someone on dial-up with a 800*600 monitor (I think 640*480 is too rare these days). So anything that requires excessive scrolling or downloading will be investigated. To that extent... I've found I've had to edit alot of long links because they were widening the page so horizontal scrolling would be needed.

Thomas
N/A

Sig size limit?

Yes, 255 characters does not take into account the images. As to include an image you simply use the img tags which aren't very long. On my forums, I have a set of rules and regulations which are extremely good, and very effective.

Unfortunately, my dedicated server is currently down so I can give you the details Cry
N/A

Sig size limit?

Image signatures are not too bad.

If they get excessive, modorators have the power to edit posts, and in each one, individualy disable the signature.

This can be long winded in some cases (hell, look at my post count), however, only the most receint and posted too threads should be needed until further action can be done.

Avataors are not too bad. Some are of excesive size, yet mainly because they are animated. Most people realise there error. As for large sized ones, most notice the issues themselves.

It is somthing we have in our little notes, and a small note to tell the dangers, which is what it is, usualy helps. We havn't had to do it on this forum (except for avatars), but it is mainly from past experiance.
Community Veteran

Sig size limit?

Don't forget that if we do encounter a serious "violation", the admins can easily alter the signature from inside the user management panel.

Thomas