cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell?

N/A

Shell?

Is it possible to try things like shell access? i think it is on my webspace i hve heard about it just wondered what things it is used for and if it is possible via force 9 presume that this is not possible but just thought i would ask if it were possible for putting things like chat room bots etc... i think i need such things just wondered if i ever wanted to install a tiny thing like that but if this is not possible then this is fine Smiley Just thought i would ask.
15 REPLIES
N/A

Shell?

If your account type includes the CGI option, you will see a "CGI" applet on your Website settings page. The CGI applet allows you to activate / deactivate the CGI function for your account.

Once activation is complete (I believe it may take a few days), then you should have shell access to the CGI server (cgi.force9.net) which you can use for installing your own software.

The tutorial forum contains several articles on using the CGI system, and I suggest you browse through the topics there for further information.
N/A

Shell?

How do i go about doing shell access i have cgi activated had it running for sometime now, not sure if i am able to install things, not really done these things before now, but i really would like to know how to go about it all then i can try things out in future if i need to run any little programs on the server now and then to try something out.
N/A

Shell?

The first thing you need to be aware of is that the operating system of the CGI server is FreeBSD, a Unix-like operating system, so you need to be aware of the Unix way of doing things; Windows concepts do not necessarily apply.

The second thing is that although your username is the same across all Force9 systems, your password on the CGI system is independent of your normal account password (and your database password, if you've activated MySQL, is different again). So if you change your CGI password for any reason, your account password does not change with it. You need to remember your CGI password independently from your account password. Initially, though, it has the same value as your account password.

Armed with that basic information, you can log on and explore. The CGI/Shell Server Basics tutorial will get you started using a telnet or ssh client, and CGI/Shell Further Topics moves to the next level.

Possibly the more gratifying experience, though, comes from actually installing a package of some sort. There are loads of free ones available, and if you have a specific interest, you should do a search to see what you can find.

If you're not bothered about which package, but just want to try installing something, anything! (you could delete it later if you don't need it), you could follow the Help Installing phpBB tutorial which covers the phpBB (Bulletin Board) system -- the same package as forms the basis of this forum. You need to have activated MySQL for this package. If you use Internet Explorer for FTP, reverse the advice given about the use of passive FTP and set the "Use Passive FTP" option (the latest advice in the tutorial is not to set it) -- I find, despite Force9's notification that passive FTP is no longer supported, it does work and from the user's point of view it means we can secure our systems better.
N/A

Shell?

Passive FTP was allowed to the CGI Platform again, after many customers complained.
N/A

Shell?

I will have a look through the guide you posted today Task, not sure if there is any software which would be useful for someone like myself who hasn't really done anything like this before? Sounds interesting though to have a go at setting something up just to see how it all works.
N/A

Shell?

Colin: Just to the CGI system? I find I can use passive FTP (and prefer it to "normal" FTP) on "homepages" as well. It doesn't need a "helper application" (as my router calls it -- "ALG", I believe, in others) to permit an incoming data connection to negotiate NAT.
N/A

Shell?

Presume there must be a program i can use to connect to the shell or whatever it is called? If not then not too worry will have a look into it if possible Smiley and se what i can actually manage to work out with it all.
N/A

Shell?

Yes, essentially you can use telnet or ssh (secure shell -- it encrypts your communications with the server), both of which are explained in the CGI/Shell Server Basics tutorial referred to earlier.

Windows provides a telnet client, but no ssh client. You can download the free client, PuTTY (you need the file putty.exe), which provides both telnet and ssh client functionality.
N/A

Shell?

I belive it was only restricted on the CGI Platform, as part of security hardening.
N/A

Shell?

well after a long time of mucking around i have still never got the hang of all this, the reason i wanted to try it as i was going on another server i was going to see if it were possible or just see how shoutcast or icecast servers work on a server as in installing them, although i understand it would not be posible for me to install such things on force9 due to bandwidth issues and various others i would think, but i would like to just see if i can get any program installed at all or work out how it actually is installe! just not getting anywhere here with anything just keep getting bash etc... not allowing me to do anything although once before i managed todownload the shoutcast file as a test to see if it would download it and that worked but just cannot get my head around it all lol! sorry for being THICK! but it is not very easy to grasp. I mean any file really just to see if i can get anywhere lol o well still just have to keep trying and see what happens.
N/A

Shell?

What is it you're trying to do which is being prevented by bash?
N/A

Shell?

Well i basically wanted to know for future reference how to install something such as a shoutcast server for example and get it so that when i go to the address of the server i can actually just see it display that it is installed basically, but not really managed to get my head around how it actually works it just seems to not let me get anywhere
N/A

Shell?

Also i am interested in perhaps setting something up like pisg chat stats for mirc but not managed to get anything like that to work and still not worked out how to get that to work lol

Anyone Help? with pisg stats? or not able to do that on force9?
N/A

Shell?

You wont be able to run anything like a shoutcast server. You dont install software as such on the CGI server as its intended, as the name says, for CGI use which is generally scripting. To run anything serious like shoutcast you would need your own server.

If you dont know how to use CGI then you should google it, the CGI server is not necessarily the best place to start as its perfectly possible for one mistake to cause issues for every user on the server.