cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Files

N/A

Sharing Files

I am trying to share files with my brother in law. we both have ADSL however I can connect to his machine and upload/download files without any problems but he cannot access my computer. We are using and FTP program and a server program. my connection is through a router.
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Sharing Files,Possible reply

> I am trying to share files with my brother in law. we both have ADSL however I can connect to his machine and upload/download files without any problems but he cannot access my computer. We are using and FTP program and a server program. my connection is through a router.

Hi,
I am wondering if the problem your having here is that one machine out of the pair must act as a server whilst the other acts only as a client.In other words I have a suspicion that you cannot both exchange files in both directions at the same time, you would have to swap roles (the client machine would then have to become a server & the server become a client,hope that might make sense). I have a feeling that FTP & TFTP both require client/server.

From my experience of working remotely, even if you use a program such as PCAnywhere or Timbuktu it still has to be client & server, or client & host,etc.

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Sharing Files

> I am trying to share files with my brother in law. we both have ADSL however I can connect to his machine and upload/download files without any problems but he cannot access my computer. We are using and FTP program and a server program. my connection is through a router.

I assume you have already set up the port re-direction on the router then?
If not, this may very well be the cause of the problem.
N/A

RE: Sharing Files,Port to use!

> > I am trying to share files with my brother in law. we both have ADSL however I can connect to his machine and upload/download files without any problems but he cannot access my computer. We are using and FTP program and a server program. my connection is through a router.
>
> I assume you have already set up the port re-direction on the router then?
> If not, this may very well be the cause of the problem.

Hi,
Just in case you dont know FTP uses port 21.
Ivan
--
N/A

RE: Sharing Files,Port to use!

> > > I am trying to share files with my brother in law. we both have ADSL however I can connect to his machine and upload/download files without any problems but he cannot access my computer. We are using and FTP program and a server program. my connection is through a router.
> >
> > I assume you have already set up the port re-direction on the router then?
> > If not, this may very well be the cause of the problem.
>
> Hi,
> Just in case you dont know FTP uses port 21.
> Ivan
>
> --
>

And sometimes I think port 20 too (is that some security thing?)
N/A

RE: Sharing Files,Port to use! REPLY

> > > > I am trying to share files with my brother in law. we both have ADSL however I can connect to his machine and upload/download files without any problems but he cannot access my computer. We are using and FTP program and a server program. my connection is through a router.
> > >
> > > I assume you have already set up the port re-direction on the router then?
> > > If not, this may very well be the cause of the problem.
> >
> > Hi,
> > Just in case you dont know FTP uses port 21.
> > Ivan
> >
> > --
> >
>
> And sometimes I think port 20 too (is that some security thing?)

Hi again,
The way I understand this is that FTP port 21 is for data and port 20 is for control (which might include security or permissions or things like username & password,annoynous login's etc).

Ivan
--
N/A

RE: Sharing Files,Port to use! REPLY

> Hi again,
> The way I understand this is that FTP port 21 is for data and port 20 is for control (which might include security or permissions or things like username & password,annoynous login's etc).

Actually wrong way round. Comprehensive port number listings:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
N/A

RE: Sharing Files,Port to use! REPLYING Again

> > Hi again,
> > The way I understand this is that FTP port 21 is for data and port 20 is for control (which might include security or permissions or things like username & password,annoynous login's etc).
>
> Actually wrong way round. Comprehensive port number listings:
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
>

Hi Again,
Ok! so I got it the wrong way around but I was trying to help you and I think you are now splitting hairs here, dont say I did'nt try and help you!!

Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Sharing Files,Port to use! REPLYING Again

> Hi Again,
> Ok! so I got it the wrong way around but I was trying to help you and I think you are now splitting hairs here, dont say I did'nt try and help you!!

I had no intention of devaluing the advice you had given, and this was my first reply to this subject. Whilst it could be construed that I was splitting hairs, I only replied out of courtesy to correct which port was for what.
N/A

I think the people who have advised you to open up ports 20 and 21 on the router (so that incoming traffic on these ports is redirected to the correct "FTP server" PC behind the router) are on the right track.

My only addition is to provide a warning about the use of FTP across the Internet: since FTP sends passwords in plaintext there is a (slight) security exposure, so be wary.
N/A

> > I am trying to share files with my brother in law. we both have ADSL however I can connect to his machine and upload/download files without any problems but he cannot access my computer. We are using and FTP program and a server program. my connection is through a router.
>
> I think the people who have advised you to open up ports 20 and 21 on the router (so that incoming traffic on these ports is redirected to the correct "FTP server" PC behind the router) are on the right track.
>
> My only addition is to provide a warning about the use of FTP across the Internet: since FTP sends passwords in plaintext there is a (slight) security exposure, so be wary.

actually, if not alot is known about serving FTP at all then I would not recomend running it at all, FTP is typically insecure anyway. Find an alternative.. I believe alot of chat clients come with file xfer capabilities...
--
N/A

> > > I am trying to share files with my brother in law. we both have ADSL however I can connect to his machine and upload/download files without any problems but he cannot access my computer. We are using and FTP program and a server program. my connection is through a router.
> >
> > I think the people who have advised you to open up ports 20 and 21 on the router (so that incoming traffic on these ports is redirected to the correct "FTP server" PC behind the router) are on the right track.
> >
> > My only addition is to provide a warning about the use of FTP across the Internet: since FTP sends passwords in plaintext there is a (slight) security exposure, so be wary.
>
> actually, if not alot is known about serving FTP at all then I would not recomend running it at all, FTP is typically insecure anyway. Find an alternative.. I believe alot of chat clients come with file xfer capabilities...
>
> --
>

aah yes, if you really must run FTP then try PASV, especially if behind a firewall. PASV is usually the prefered method as it uses unpriv ports rather than priv.
--