cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharePoint Team Services

N/A

SharePoint Team Services

I'm using FrontPage 2002 and it suggests that I can utilise SharePoint Team Services if I have access to a web server running SPTS. I rang the Technical Support help desk and I was told that f9 did run SPTS (the tech guy did not sound terribly convincing, I have to say). The problem is that ,whenever I try and run the FrontPage SharePoint Team Web wizard, I get a message telling me that I need to choose another location which IS running SPTS!
Can someone confirm whether f9 do in fact support this service and, if so, what I need to do to activate it?
If not, should I be looking at phpBB for a small (10 people) discussion group?
7 REPLIES
N/A

May be may be??`

Hi,
I think the way "SharePoint TeamServices" is described by Microsoft is very confusing, I might be wrong here but I had the destinct impression that SPTS was an intra-net product designed for large corporate or large business type networks using intranet technologies. I didnt think that SPTS was an internet/web based or web orientated product. But I'm happy if someone else knows differently or if I'm completely wrong about this??

** I have a feeling that FP2000 or FP2002 do work closely with SPTS but only if you happen to be connected to a local area network running a SPTS server.

Ivan
N/A

You might be right.

Thanks for your response, Ivan. You may very well be right but if someone else can confirm it will stop me pulling my hair out (I've got precious little of it left anyway!).
If I use phpBB, is it fairly easy to setup does anyone know?
N/A

SharePoint Team Services

phpBB is easy to install. The article Help Installing phpBB provides detailed instructions for installing it on Force9.
N/A

SPTS Confirmation regarding

Hi,
Out of sheer curiosity I wanted to know more about SPTS and can clearly confirm for you that SPTS is most definately a server based application used in large corporate or business computing networked environments and doesnt seem to be orientated to the individual user nor is it internet orientated either.

Just to make matters even more confusing Microsoft has now split sharepoint into two completely different products, see the links I'll paste for you below:-

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/sharepoint/overview.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/office/sharepoint/prodinfo/default.mspx

Cool Ivan
N/A

Bill Gates strikes again!

Thanks, guys - if only Bill Gates would stick to what customers want rather than trying to invent the next big thing. Pity really because SPTS sounds quite good - if only I had my own intranet!
I've just downloaded phpBB so here's hoping it all goes well.
N/A

SharePoint Team Services

Not much of feedback.

But if you want the job done - don't use MS products - simple Cheesy
N/A

Thats Easy talk?

Hi,
OK Dont use MS products thats easy for you to say but come on whats the alternative?? Frankly there are few very good quality alternatives, if there was more choice than MS then the IT industry wouldnt be dominated by Mr Gates et al.

Ivan Cool