N/A

Share dealing on the Stock market

Hey dudes and dudettes,

Any of you guys have any knowledge on stock trading Huh

Playertothelast :-)
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No, but if you want to invest in something atm, buy some USD - they're cheap. :lol: I'm thinking about doing something like that myself.... converting some GBP into USD, waiting a year then converting them back.

Thomas
Community Veteran

Could be dodgy ground that Thomas.

The US Dollar has been sinking slowly over the last 5 years.
It may not recover in just 1 year Cry
Community Veteran

I looked into stocks and shares about 2-3 years ago but found very little info, it seems like you either need to be born knowing stuff or know people who know about it.

Needless to say I recently spent a fair amount of money on some shares in a recently floated company and I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

Chris
Community Veteran

The US Dollar has been sinking slowly over the last 5 years.

Maybe so, but there have certainly been times when it's had it's much stronger points in recent times. I can recall not that long ago when there were about USD1.4 per GBP, whereas now it's about USD1.8...

Thomas
Community Veteran

Needless to say I recently spent a fair amount of money on some shares in a recently floated company and I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

Chris

I hope thats a mental loss and not a loss in money terms Cry
Community Veteran

lol so do I.

Chris
Community Veteran

Not like me then Sad
Invested 25K in a high risk bond just before the 9/11 event hoping to make a fast buck.
At one time it dropped to 15K :?
Just about got back to 23K now so hopefully in another year or so I should have my original money back and see some growth. :roll:
N/A

Unless you're doing it for fun (with profit just being a happy bonus), don't is the short answer.

Get an index tracker. Lower risk and you'll probably make more money unless you're very lucky or spend a lot of time on it. Taking fees and suchlike into account, trackers usually do better than most managed funds...

FX trading is pretty high risk. Banks make money on it, but they're trading much larger volumes and over much shorter periods of time.

--> Stephen
N/A

Trackers are as said. They track the trend of the market.

Trackers do far worse in trade slumps like that after 9/11 than managed funds.

You are actualy far better playing the transfer game accross multiple funds that relying on a tracker.
N/A

I would agree that diversification is key -- some cash, some equities, some fixed income. And it's true that managed funds can do better in some specific circumstances, but in general and in the longer term trackers are better for most people.

For example: 9 out of 10 managed funds don't manage to beat the index over the long-term. Plus managed funds often have fees that are nearly ten times that of tracker funds.

However, despite that I do have some managed funds, mainly in emerging markets or other risky areas where some knowlegde can help pick real winners.

--> Stephen
N/A

do not know a great deal about share dealing etc. Do know however that the UK is a world leader in pharmaceuticals and bio-technologies. Some countries build great cars or electronic goods but we build great medicines. safer to play at home than away/
chino
Grafter

I do some trading and i use www.popes.co.uk which were called Popes of Hull though have now been bought out, £12.50 per trade.

I have seen Ample via www.iii.co.uk and these seem via good at £10 per trade.

This is for UK shares, for the current price have a look at www.londonstockexchange.com

Hope this helps.

cUnDaLl
N/A

When I was made redundant in 1993 I invested my cash in a portfolio of unit trusts and have needed the income and capital from them to boost my pension since then. But I was very lucky because of the market in the 90s. You couldnt do that nowadays. The stock market is just making noise now. Not going up or down. If I was doing it again I would look at tracker funds because no trust manager can ever beat the market for any lengthy period of time.
I cant see the FTSE getting up to 4,700 in the foreseeable future, which would recover its position after the last crash.
chino
Grafter

I cant see the FTSE getting up to 4,700 in the foreseeable future,

I also see this though the FTSE has a long way to go to fully recover and at this time i would just put your money into a bank account or a bond as there is nothing safer at the mo.

cUnDaLl

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Quoting fixed for you.]