cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up outlook express

N/A

Setting up outlook express

Although the plusnet mailserver is great, my dear other half wants to keep her old email addresses so she can send and recieve mail through outlook express without having to connect via the 56k connection.

All incoming mail can be recieved on all addresses
(pop.freeserve.net, pop.freeserve.com & mail.btinternet.com), but we can only send mail using the new <username>@accountname.plus.com.

Trying to send outbound mail using the other services results in this message:
--------
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com (2)', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
--------
or
--------
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '<username>*@accountname*.plus.com'. Subject 'error message', Account: 'pop.freeserve.net', Server: 'smtp.freeserve.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying to <username@accountname.plus.com> prohibited by administrator', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
--------
* - edited

I'm connected to plusnet ADSL via a LAN/router, using O.E version5.5 on Win98SE.
11 REPLIES
espresso_mick
Grafter

RE: Setting up outlook express

Just change the outgoing server in the properties for the BT Internet account to: -

relay.plus.net

This works for me, as I also have an e-mail account with BT.

Mick
N/A

> Just change the outgoing server in the properties for the BT Internet account to: -
>
> relay.plus.net
>
>
> This works for me, as I also have an e-mail account with BT.
>
> Mick

Works for me too and I have my own domain name. Out of curiosity do your E-mail links still work in outlook express to other web sites as mine dont and I have been round in circles and no one knows why. This is since I joined Plus Net
Pam

espresso_mick
Grafter

My links do work in Outlook Express.

Try this.

Click Start and Run and enter the following: -

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

....and press OK.

This will re-register the dll in Windows that makes the hyperlinks work. Restart your machine.

If this doesn't work, the only other thing I can think of is that you are very low on memory when you are trying to use the links and there isn't enough to be able to open a new browser window.

If you have PC memory problems, i.e. never enough. I recommend the MemTurbo programme. It's not free (works out at about 14 or 15 quid) but it is good. You can get it using this link: -

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2086-5067117.html?tag=lst-0-1

There are other similar programmes that are free. You can search for them on the same site.

Hope this helps.

Mick
N/A

> Just change the outgoing server in the properties for the BT Internet account to: -
>
> relay.plus.net
>
>
> This works for me, as I also have an e-mail account with BT.
>
> Mick

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Mick :-)
All Sorted!
Luv Suzy (Vincent's other half)

espresso_mick
Grafter

lol.....no problem m8
N/A

> lol.....no problem m8

Thanks for your advice Mick but it didnt work and I'm sure I have loads of memory Its an new machine I have a feeling i have a corrupt file in outlook express and need to re-install it but not sure how to do it my OS is XP and I have had a look at the disk Outlook Express seems to be included in IE6 So I suppose I have to reinstall both which I am a bit nervouse about doing.
You seem quite a wiz on compuers i have read a few of your replys Mick and looked at both your web sites which are great
Cheers
Pam
espresso_mick
Grafter

Hi Pam,

Sorry that didn't help you out.

Right, Windows XP.

Have you used the Windows Update feature and installed the critical and recommended updates.

If not, I would do so. It should bring IE6 & Outlook up to the latest versions.

If you have already updated everything and you suspect it's corrupt Outlook file you can try the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:

Click Start, Run and type: -

sfc /scannow

and click OK. (It might ask you to insert your Windows XP CD)

This will check and see if you have any missing/corrupt system files and will allow you to re-install them.

If you have IE6 on a CD you could just re-install it. It's pretty painless. You just set the installation file going (the file is ie6setup.exe), you agree to the terms and conditions, select 'Typical' installation (this reinstalls everything), click on 'next' and it will install. You will have to restart your machine when it's finished.

If neither of these solutions work, it looks like you will have to do a re-installation of Windows XP.

Just put your Windows XP CD in your drive. Click on Install Windows XP and then on Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.

If your computer was pre-installed with Windows XP and other software, I would check out the following link for a Microsoft guide, because you could lose info and settings if you re-install on a computer like this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312369

Good Luck
Mick
N/A

> Hi Pam,
>
> Sorry that didn't help you out.
>
> Right, Windows XP.
>
> Have you used the Windows Update feature and installed the critical and recommended updates.
>
> If not, I would do so. It should bring IE6 & Outlook up to the latest versions.
>
> If you have already updated everything and you suspect it's corrupt Outlook file you can try the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:
>
> Click Start, Run and type: -
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> and click OK. (It might ask you to insert your Windows XP CD)
>
> This will check and see if you have any missing/corrupt system files and will allow you to re-install them.
>
> If you have IE6 on a CD you could just re-install it. It's pretty painless. You just set the installation file going (the file is ie6setup.exe), you agree to the terms and conditions, select 'Typical' installation (this reinstalls everything), click on 'next' and it will install. You will have to restart your machine when it's finished.
>
> If neither of these solutions work, it looks like you will have to do a re-installation of Windows XP.
>
> Just put your Windows XP CD in your drive. Click on Install Windows XP and then on Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
>
> If your computer was pre-installed with Windows XP and other software, I would check out the following link for a Microsoft guide, because you could lose info and settings if you re-install on a computer like this.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312369
>
> Good Luck
> Mick

Thanks Mick Ill have a go
Were do you find all these tools thatyou know about that you can run in "run"
Cheers Pam:rollsmile:
espresso_mick
Grafter

> Were do you find all these tools thatyou know about that you can run in "run".>

Hi Pam,

Wasn't sure if you meant 'how do I know of these tools', or actually where you find can find them.

Some of the tools are installed within your Windows folder when you first install Windows. There are loads still left on the Windows XP disc.

If you use the following link, you can see the full list of all the tools with an explanation and instructions on how to use them. Smiley

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/pr...

If you meant, how do I know of them. I have been building and poking around inside computers for longer than I can remember. I've also read a lot of stuff about PC's.

If you wanna learn more about Windows and PC's, I recommend PC Answers magazine. They run tutorials for lots of things. If you dont want to buy it, you could go to their website.

http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/

I would also suggest the 'Dummies' range of books. They are dead easy to read and quite funny. They have a 'Windows XP for Dummies', among others.

http://cda.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Section.rdr?id=100202

Hope this helps and you get your problem sorted.
Mick

N/A

> > Were do you find all these tools thatyou know about that you can run in "run".>
>
> Hi Pam,
>
> Wasn't sure if you meant 'how do I know of these tools', or actually where you find can find them.
>
> Some of the tools are installed within your Windows folder when you first install Windows. There are loads still left on the Windows XP disc.
>
> If you use the following link, you can see the full list of all the tools with an explanation and instructions on how to use them. Smiley
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/pr...
>
> If you meant, how do I know of them. I have been building and poking around inside computers for longer than I can remember. I've also read a lot of stuff about PC's.
>
> If you wanna learn more about Windows and PC's, I recommend PC Answers magazine. They run tutorials for lots of things. If you dont want to buy it, you could go to their website.
>
> http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/
>
> I would also suggest the 'Dummies' range of books. They are dead easy to read and quite funny. They have a 'Windows XP for Dummies', among others.
>
> http://cda.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Section.rdr?id=100202
>
> Hope this helps and you get your problem sorted.
> Mick

Ooo Errr That will give me something to do between 1am-7am
Thanks for you advice I do read computer Mags but havent tried PC Answers so I shall have a go
Once again thanks for your help :*
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

espresso_mick
Grafter

<Ooo Errr That will give me something to do between 1am-7am>