cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a VPN

N/A

Setting up a VPN

I'm trying to set up a VPN server so that I can "phone home", so far without success. I have a Netgear DG834G firmware level 1.5.0. There is a server on my intranet running Windows XP Professional. It has a static IP and is set up for accepting incoming VPN calls (standard XP software). The router is configured to route VPN incoming (listed as a service) to that server.

I've tried connecting as a client from work (again using standard XP software) and that doesn't work. That may be because (a) my work intranet does not allow outgoing VPN calls, (b) I am using the wrong IP address to connect to (I am confused as to whether to use the "gateway" or "router" IP listed in my connection settings; I have tried both), or (c) something else. It's probably (a) in which case I'm wasting my time, but it's an interesting journey nevertheless! It doesn't help that I can't ping the IP address, that's probably a router setting to improve security?
2 REPLIES
N/A

Setting up a VPN

The answer was (a) VPN out is disallowed on my employer's intranet. Ho hum.

The information I got about setting up VPN is at http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm
N/A

Setting up a VPN

Well at least you figured that out.

I tried setting up a VPN too but never figured exactly what went wrong.
I could connect but it would always die on verifying username and password, would connect via the LAN perfectly however. I think my router simply does not work properly for forwarding the ports to the VPN despite claiming support for this.

I can connect to my friends WinXP Pro PC on Telewest Broadband so at least I managed to do it that way so we can play LAN Only games over the Internet.