cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing a wireless connection

N/A

I purchased a Belkin wireless router and USB adaptor. After a few mishaps, it was eventually up and running, and talking to my laptop.

Next cam the securing of my wireless connection. I have used the Belkin interface to use an encrypted connection (I believe) andI have disabled the essid function,. I went next door to see if they could find my network on their wireless laptop, and nothng showed up.

As far as I am aware, I am fully secured up now, but how really can I check? I noticed my usage yesterday was in excess of 150mb, which is almost 4x my normal daily usage. That said, I was downloading Windows updates and virus/ firewall software for my laptop which will probably account for it.

One final thing. My connection seems to go into a "sleep" mode for some reason. I have Mailwasher configured to check every 10 minutes, but sometimes it fails to check due to timing out. Also if I go to a web page after 30 minutes to 1 hr, it takes forever to find the page.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mark
8 REPLIES
orrery
Grafter

I have disabled the essid function,

This is pointless. The SSID is transmitted as plain text anyway, so those trying to find it can do so easily.

Hiding it is counter-productive as it stops others choosing a sensible channel for adjacent networks.

I'm assuming that in enabling encryption you have typed in a key?

regards, Ian
N/A

Hi Ian

Yes I did type in a key, similar to a password function I am assuming. I am hoping that unless someone else knows it, they will be unable to access my connection with their set up.

Mark
orrery
Grafter

Sounds OK.

The other thing you should do is set access control by MAC address - this will prevent anyone else being able to access via your router (only those MAC addresses entered on the router are permitted to connect).

regards, Ian
N/A

Thanks for your input Ian.

I think I set my access to WPA and TKID, is the MAC something extra?

Mark
orrery
Grafter

Don't know TKID, but WPA is the encryption type.

Did you type the MAC address of your laptop adapter into the router and set the router to allow access to only specified MAC addresses?

regards
Ian
N/A

No I didn't. Having looked at the adaptor, I can see the MAC address. Any ideas where I would need to put it? I am assumin then that no other adaptor would be able to access it?

I should maybe point out that so far the connection has been secured using the router's in built system and not the XP wireless connection mode.

Cheers

Mark
orrery
Grafter

You'd enter the MAC address in the router's web-based setup ages under 'access control' or similar. You'd also set something like 'enable access control' and 'allow specified' rather than 'exclude specified'. Sorry, I've never used that router, so these descriptions may be very approximate.

I tend to allow XP to control the connection - I find it less fussy than the manufacturers own (Linksys or Netgear I've tried).

regards, Ian
N/A

The only reference I have found to the MAC code (apart from the one F9 customer's are getting Smiley) is in the firewall section where I have enabled MAC address filtering and put in the code for the device.

I wasn't sure how to run the XPwireless set up wizard, I did once but got lost and a bit confused so stuck with the Belkin way of doing things. Hopefully it is okay though.

Cheers

Mark