cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search engines aint wot they used to be.

N/A

Tonight I've been trying to find the home page of a local estate agents and not one of the search engines I've tried has come up with the web site. OK so they have to make their money, I can see that but I've noticed increasingly that the only results you get nowadays are commercial links.

I just have this thing about being forced to go to UK-Directory-to-find-things-you-need.co.uk when I know exactly what I want in the first place but can't quite find it because because some dill has hijacked the URL.

Is it me?
5 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: Search engines aint wot they used to be.

Is it me?

No... I find it really awkward to find things on Search Engines as well these days.

You don't listen to Terry Wogan by any chance do you Wink
N/A

Re: Search engines aint wot they used to be.

Terry Wogan

Whose name should be spoken in hushed tones and who is second only to my idol and the one upon whom I have been modelling myself for many years - Victor Meldrew
N/A

As there are more and more sites coming up, you have to get more specific in the search criteria.
Also, sites who pay to get listed will always have a higher ranking, especially if they have the metatags done professionally as well.
Community Veteran

Also sites that are not accessed very often are also moved closer to the end of the search list as are those that have very few references/links on other sites.

There are just too many similar websites around now so the search engines have a very hard time keeping up and supplying sensible results. You just have to become cleverer in entering your search terms.
N/A

My experience is that over the last year or two Google, Alta Vista, AlltheWeb, Dogpile et al all routinely return results that are based loosely on your criteria that aren't direct links but rather links to commercial sites which in turn have links to what they think you're looking for.

.... and who electrocuted the little chicks?