Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scandisk problems

bjanda
Grafter

Scandisk problems

Hi
Can anyone tell me if the 'Scandisk' (on Win 98 SE) that runs after a bad shutdown is the same as the normal app. When it runs before Windows starts it completes as it should but there is no log file to confirm this. When I try to run Scandisk on its own it keeps restarting, even if I've just rebooted and removed any programs that are running first.
About 1 in 4 times pc wont shutdown so Scandisk operates quite regularly so do I need to run it as well and if so, how do I get it to finish.
I also need a solution for Defrag as this has the same problem.
Any help appreciated, Thanks Bri.
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Scandisk problems

Run scandisk and defrag in safemode. This should allow it to complete.

The scandsk on startup, is a quick check, to clean-up any junk that can possibly harm the system, if it starts fully. However, is pretty worthless. I just hit "x" when it shows, and allow my weekly scans to take over when run.
bjanda
Grafter

> Run scandisk and defrag in safemode. This should allow it to complete.
>
> The scandsk on startup, is a quick check, to clean-up any junk that can possibly harm the system, if it starts fully. However, is pretty worthless. I just hit "x" when it shows, and allow my weekly scans to take over when run.

Thanks for reply. I'm just not sure how to go about running it in safe mode. Can you help here?
Thanks again.
N/A

First off, you need at least a PS/2 keyboard, it can't be USB (Though, a USB to PS/2 converter will do)

When you compiter turns on, keep tapping the F8 key. This will bring up a boot menu for Windows.

On some computers, the F8 key allows you to force a boot from a different device. If this pops up, select your hard drive, hit return and start tapping F8 again (you may need ot be quick).

From the Menu then the appears, select "Safe mode" (Not command prompt safe mode).

This may take a long time to load, as drivers designed to use the accelerated functions of the hard-drive and motherboard do not get loaded.

You should now come to a desktop with large (very) icons and rubbish colours. It will warn you that the computer is in safe mode. Click OK. If you are on a USB mouse, you will to tap the spacebar.

Go throught he start menu, through programs, accesseries, system tools. Start scan disk.

Once complete, do the same for defrag.

You can now shutdown the computer (or restart (not reset)) and continue as normal once booted.

I would sugest downloading a ScumWare removal tool like AdAware. A system that acts like your, shows signs of lingering spyware.

Brickinit
Grafter

> Hi
> Can anyone tell me if the 'Scandisk' (on Win 98 SE) that runs after a bad shutdown is the same as the normal app. When it runs before Windows starts it completes as it should but there is no log file to confirm this. When I try to run Scandisk on its own it keeps restarting, even if I've just rebooted and removed any programs that are running first.
> About 1 in 4 times pc wont shutdown so Scandisk operates quite regularly so do I need to run it as well and if so, how do I get it to finish.
> I also need a solution for Defrag as this has the same problem.
> Any help appreciated, Thanks Bri.

try turning of things in msconfig/startup there is usually plenty of programs running that you don't realise,quite a while back i used to get the same problem with scan disk, have you tried a deep scan?
also with the defrag i used to get to about 10% and it would restart,then get to 40% and restart, it would usually something like data on disk changed.things like realplayer and anti-virus programs were the most common causes

malc

N/A

hi i have a dual boot system with win me and win 2000 can any one tell me how to force win me to start in safe mode.
bjanda
Grafter

Hi

Got it sorted now and both scandisk and defrag now working ok.

Many thanks for the help.
Bri.