cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWT enquiry, any plusnet commuters using South West train?

henonmap

Hi

I have run out of places to ask... (well on the net and on the phone). Basically I am trying to check if there is a oyster card barrier on the Twickenham station since at the end of next month, due to work, I need to travel there quite often. I use a London Underground Oyster card normally. If there is hassle with oyster card at that station, I could get a paper season ticket instead, I guess. But I like my oyster card and it is convenient on buses/tube journey in central London. I just don't believe that this simple piece of information is not available online or even at Oystercard hotline and SWT customer service line! Surely this information is on their computers/intranets?

In fact, anyone knows if there is a public forum for london commuter online?

Cheers
A very fed up london commuter!
5 REPLIES
N/A

According to the Oyster site, "You cannot use Oyster for travel on mainline trains outside Zone 6 in London". If not sure what the limits for each zone are, but if you think Twickenham is further away then Zone 6, then they won't accept Oyster cards.
henonmap

Emm... Twickenham is in zone 5. I also looked at the leaflet (pdf) on 2005 fares and tickets from London underground site and there is only a handful of stations accepting prepay oyster... so I suspect only those handful of stations have the latest oyster card type barriers. Twickenham is not listed although it is still in zone 5. That's why I have been trying to locate the information online from london underground site etc. but there is no information. Even SWT customer helpline could not answer if their station has that type of barrier or not. Oh well... I should've known ... knowing the national rail is not in a healthy state.

Sad
Community Veteran

drtsui - it all depends on if you're planning on using Oyster PrePay, or a season ticket. If you intend on using a season ticket charged to an Oyster card, then you're allowed to use it from/to any national rail station within your ticket's zones, provided you carry around the record card that you get when your season ticket is placed on the Oystercard - without that record card, you can be fined by a National Rail ticket inspector if he/she doesn't have an Oyster reader.
If, on the other hand, you want to use Oyster PrePay (something that is, at the moment, mainly TFL-based), then I'm afraid you'll just have to purchase yourself a normal single/return to/from Twickenham.

As for barriers, it's actually mostly the opposite to what you believe, I think. Alot of National Rail stations in London in fact have no barriers, which means, if you have a season ticket on your Oystercard, you just show the waiting ticket inspector your record card - or walk straight on to the train if there is no ticket inspector. This is the reason you can't use Prepay - because there're no machines at the stations to validate your card, so the card knows how far you've travelled when you get out at the other end.

Thomas
henonmap

Thanks. It suddenly makes sense. I didn't think of it the other way that because they don't have oyster barrier at all, that's why the rail operator doesn't accept oyster prepay!!!

I guess as long as I have the record card I should be ok... though sometimes, at my underground station, if i ask for a weekly one, they don't always give out a record card unless I specifically ask for it. Alternatively I will just get a paper ticket.

Just thinking ... if the rail operator insists on seeing the record card, this really defeats the point of having a oyster card for being convenient to be renewed online without queueing at the ticket office, i.e. no record card though.

Anyway, thank you for answering this in details.

Cheers.

Cheesy
Community Veteran

The actual idea of the Oystercard is to speed things up while on the tube and buses - the idea being that there's no fumbling around with paper tickets etc. Eventually, as Ken Livingstone is gaining some sort of control over London's rail services now, the Oystercards will proliferate to rail as well - though you'll still need your record card in case ticket machines aren't working etc.

Incidentally, you can still get season tickets charged to your Oystercard online - the pass gets charged to your Oyster when you use it at your designated collection station, and a record card follows in the post. Smiley

Thomas