cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM in PlusNet e-mail accounts

N/A

I think that most people will agree that 'SPAM' is annoying? Well, I am now finding a vast increase in 'SPAM' in my e-mail account.
It started a few weeks ago with the odd one or two,the 4 or 5, but this morning I had 20 SPAM e-mail - most annoying and, worrying.
I do not use this e-mailaccount at all, so how has the SPAM crept in?
Have PlusNet any SPAM recognition procedure to avoid us having to see this rubbish, much of which is of the 'phishing' variety?
Has anyone else experienced an increase in SPAM in their e-mail?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi there,

There have been plenty of threads discussing the topic of Spam across the forums.

Please see this link
Which discusses the proposed changes to the system to make it more resilient to Spam.

Kind regards,

Roger.
Denzil
Grafter

If it is an address you don't use then you can set up a redirect to automatically bin everything sent to that address. It worked for me. See

http://portal.plus.net/support/security/spam/blocking_spam_emails.shtml

Spammers usually either pick up email addresses from websites or from sneaking software onto PC's that nick addresses from the address book.

PN does have an antispam feature, but it just labels it and doesn't delete it (in case it makes a mistake). Go to Email Settings in the My Account menu to the left.
JohnF

SPAM

Hi,

I don't normally join in forum chats but this one is very dear to my heart.

With reference to your SPAM - Having been dealing with Emails since 1994 I can honestly say SPAM nowadays is probably the worst it's ever been.

I don't use my PN email account as my main one so don't get any SPAM whatsoever from it - so no one has gotten into the PN system as far as I'm aware.

I have my main Email address with BT (old habits and all that). I get about 20-30 per day on that one - They arrive in a persistent manner and I use 'Mailwasher' to deal with them. It bounces (wherever possible), deletes and sends them on to the company in the hope that some will get caught.

I also (since '94) have still a Hotmail account - it gets about 1-2 per day, but used to get 10-20 until 'The Frog' stepped in. They were put out of business by some Russian spammer via a denail of service attack. A big shame.

Today I report every SPAM to www.spamcop.net - It's free and has helped reduce SPAM.

To end with, all I can say that just to delete the rubbish that prevades your mailbox is only an encouragement for them to send more. Please fight SPAM and report these 'no life' morons. And, as SPAM is just the tip of it all, the experts reckon that a few of these idiots will be trying desparately to get into your system - now PN has a firewall service I'd start using it.

Cheers for now,

JohnF
Denzil
Grafter

Re: SPAM

To end with, all I can say that just to delete the rubbish that prevades your mailbox is only an encouragement for them to send more. Please fight SPAM and report these 'no life' morons.

I can't see how deleting email would encourage spammers. What encourages them is the few people who reply. The spammer either gets to make money directly from the sucker, or makes money selling his email address to another spammer.

By all means report Spam, but only to a reputable third party like Spamcop. Just to make this absolutely clear, under no circumstances should you ever reply to a Spam email because that will just confirm that the address is valid, and opens you up to even more.