cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMartphone

N/A

SMartphone

whioch smartphones do you guys have..im finkin of getting p990i or m600i any one have any good smart phone which they can reccomend
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

SMartphone

I was only looking at the M600i online last night... haven't seen anyone who's got it in stock yet, but what really impressed me was its dimensions - I think it's the smallest smartphone I've ever seen!

As for me, I have a PalmOne Treo 650 - a great smartphone, but a tad big for my liking. I just use it mainly so I have the ability to write memos, adjust schedules, that kind of thing while I'm out; while I'm aware you can do that on some "normal" phones, they're very inflexible (and hard to use due to small screens and only 12 buttons for input).

Thomas
N/A

SMartphone

I use the XDA2s. Like THomas I use mine for browsing whilst out and about, keeping scheduls on, music playing, pictures, video footage, excel documents etc etc.

Not a bad bit of kit really. the size doesnt bother me, its the fear of possibly dropping it that worries me. £175 for a mint conditioned one and then unlocked it myself to Orange ( for the cheap GPRS Smiley ).

Sorted.
shellsong
Grafter

SMartphone

I've got a Treo 650 like kuglin and I use it for a little bit of online stuff (mainly emergency purposes). My main use of it is for phone, TomTom satnav with a bluetooth GPS and also geocaching with CacheMate and as a PDA-- so it's quite a busy little beast! Wink

I'm particularly keen on it's keyboard because I hate the standard mobile phone keypad and I don't mind it being a bit wider than a lot of phones since it has an excellent screen and is still quite pocketable
Community Veteran

SMartphone

Indeed, the keyboard is very handy - nice for writing text messages, although I'm amazed how some people are still faster than me even though they have to use T9. :?

I use mine quite a bit for getting journey planning over the web - Transport for London's PDA journey planning is somewhat more fully-featured than their WAP one, which makes it handy when I'm coming home from university and there's been a disruption or something, as it means I can easily find out the quickest way home. It also came in very useful when I went looking for a camera repair shop in London once, yet couldn't find it - I just got the phone out and looked at their website on it (which no doubt induced a rather large GPRS bill... as useful as it is, GPRS is a complete and utter rip-off in this country).

Thomas
Community Veteran

SMartphone

Slightly off the original question but still to do with smartphones. If I were to get a blackberry would I be able to use this on a PAYG tarrif? I don't mind which network but I don't want to commit to paying a regular monthly payment atm.
N/A

SMartphone

You can use it as a phone with any ordinary tariff, you can use it to collect mails via Wap similarly to an ordinary smartphone, however to use the Push functionality of the e-mail server you need GPRS (different to gprs as far as BB is concerned) and all operators charge extra for this AFAIK. I think its only available as an add-on for a contract phone.
Could be wrong though, perhaps an independant phone shop may know if any of the networks do PAYG BB tariffs
Community Veteran

SMartphone

I don't know what you mean by GPRS BB, but Orange definitely allow PAYG customers to use GPRS - I've been using it for years. In fact I only noticed yesterday that they do a PAYG "Extra" where, if you pay £1 you get one day's worth of unlimited browsing. If you think of that as paying roughly £30 a month for unlimited mobile data, that's not too bad... especially when you consider the rip-off price they normally charge: £4/MB!!!

Thomas
N/A

SMartphone

GPRS refers to the type of connection required for the push email function of a BB (Blackberry ) handset to work.
gprs (lower case) is used for web browsing and is avaiable on most mobile handsets. GPRS (upper case) is required by the Blackberry to receive 'push' emails from RIM's (Research in Motion - Blackberry Manufacturer) network.

I suspect the technology is the same, and the uppercase GPRS is simply an indication you have subscribed to the package which allows the traffic to be routed through their [RIMs] network.
Community Veteran

SMartphone

Ah, I didn't figure out that BB stood for Blackberry. But either way, there aren't two types of GPRS. I think you might be getting confused between GSM and GPRS... but by all means, do a quick Google for "Blackberry GPRS" and you'll see no references to a special Blackberry-only GPRS.

Thomas
N/A

SMartphone

Thats what I mean - its the same technology - there is just a different indication on a blackberry device for two types - one type; gprs is exactly the same as the one on other mobile phones, the second level GPRS seems to denote a service which is routed through RIM's network.

Hence why both of my Blackberry's (7290 and 8700) receive a full gprs signal without subscribing to the Blackberry tariff, and both allow web browsing, MMS retrieval etc - as a normal phone would.
However without the Blackberry tariff - you cannot access the Push email features - that is, you must manually ask your device to collect messages (the same as via a smartphone using pop3 eg.) if you subscribe to the Blackberry tariff (add-on) the gprs indicator changes to GPRS and you can have messages delivered to your device, as they arrive in your inbox - so you don't need to ask them to download manually.

The question refers to the availability of a Blackberry tariff via PAYG, not the availability of gprs data.
shellsong
Grafter

SMartphone

T-Mobile seem to be heading in the right direction with Walk'n'Surf-- "unlimited" usage (ie up to 1GB!) for £7.50 on top of the relevent phone tariff Wink -- unfortunately I'm with Orange! Sad