Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMC7804WBRA and port / ISP settings

cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
After giving up on trying to share my pc and laptop and now just using an external drive,I tried to config my PC for Azureus and bittottents.
I read from the portfarwarding website that I must make a static IP address,however as soon as put anything in the TCP/IP settings in WindowsXP setup my connection to the internet goes off. I have tried IP address 192.168.2.100 also 195.166.151.124
I have done all the port farwarding on the router setup but now cannot upload or download even though the port tests come back as ok.
I also get a low id in emule even though the port forwarding has been input.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to config this in laymans terms?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tynesider
3 REPLIES
N/A

Router & Port forwarding & IP's

Hi Tynesider,

Ok it sounds like you have confusion going on here? look inorder for port forwarding to operate smoothly & work correctly you must have the following.

1) take down the router off your internet conection but keep it powered up, next you need either a xover cable or a normal cat5 (RJ45 jack) cable.

2) connect to your router without any other devices attached as yet, just 1 other machine (desktop or laptop for administartive tasks only). You may have to enter a username & password if you have password protected your configuration page.

3) Once you have the administation ? config page in front of you, make sure you enter the static IP address for the external or wan interface ONLY!. This is the interface or part of the connection which is public facing and can be seen out on the internet. (you can only port forward from this fixed wan IP to your other machines IP's)

**NOTE: you may need to ask force9 to assign you a fixed IP address if you dont already have one. A fixed F9 IP will probably start with 212. 56.xxx.xxx

4) THE most important IP address is your fixed IP On the wan interface, once you have successfully entered this F9 IP address into the routers config page you need to save the settings & reboot the router.

**NOTE: The fixed F9 IP will also be or act as your routers default gateway too.

5) Once you have the correct fixed IP for the wan interface on your router, then you can use private IP addresses such as 192.168.70.01 to 08 etc. on your other computers. But you should do this manually too.

6) Once all the IP address's have been setup for all your machines then you need to go back to the router and then setup the port forwarding side of things which might involve entering by hand the priavte IP's you want to port forwards too. (so for example forward the port from 212.56.77.01 to 192.56.09.45 etc). You might have to save the settings again and also might have to reboot the router again for all the port forwarding settings to be enabled successfully.

7) if you have done all the above correctly you should be able to ping successfully force9 portal from any of your client (local LAN) machines via the router and vica versa others should atleast be able to ping your fixed IP address (the routers public facing IP).

Hope that helps?

Ivan

----------------------------------------------------------
F9 / FOL Forum Moderator
Running Broadband Premium 2MB's
cannylad
Grafter

Hi, well I have been onto F9 about a static address and the one they gave me and " told abruptly " the only one I will get on this account is the one I have, which is completley different to what you said it may be similar to.
Your the only one who seems to want to help on this issue and I am really suprised and angry at the response I got from F9 Customer Support.

I will again attept to go through what you instructed but I don't give it much hope,however fingers crossed.
Thanks
Tynesider
N/A

Replying,Ivan

Hi Tynsider,

Ok! just a couple of comments bye way of a reply to your last posting. Firstly F9 are extremely busy trying to deal with a tidal wave of requests for new products & upgrades & downgrades & regrades well I suspect thats why the staff were less than helpful. I know this is no excuse but it sounds like CS were quite stressed (I know exacatly what that can be like got the Tshirt as it were but glad not to be wearing it for real any more, I digess sorry!).

**Networks of all kinds are classified into types and the type of network is determined by the kind of IP address. so roughly the classes are Class A,ClassB,Class C & Class D. Only the biggest gobal business corporations such as ICI, Shell or some Banks have Class A networks. Most common are networks in the type Class C & D, you can tell what kind of class the network is directly from its IP address.

**So users on a specific ISP who have fixed address's usually have IP address's within the same block or range of IP address numbers. So for Force9 their network has "a network address" which is always 212.56.xxx.xxx (that might be from say 212.56. 01.01 through to 212.56.500.500 for example). But the network address for F9 is always or usually within 212.56.Huh.Huh they might well have more than one block of address's or several ranges of address's.

**I think its abit unkind to be angry at a user because they (you) ask about a static IP address, techies forget many users dont have the same level of understanding as experienced support staff. They should ideally be patient with users who dont know all about IP address & stuff like port forwarding. OK it might be second nature to them but they had to learn it themselves once and its that which they forget. Or to put it another way, we are all still users even experienced people?

Have a go as I described to you above & let me know how you get along with that? feel free to PM me if you need to thats fine glad to help if I can.

Ivan

----------------------------------------------------------
F9 / FOL Forum Moderator
Running Broadband Premier 2MB's