cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOW 32kb on 2 meg connection, any ideas?

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Hi all,
Noticed f9 portal was slow, so tried 4 of their speed tests, results they gave are;
32kb, 1.8Mb, 56kb, 115kb all in space of 10 minutes half hour ago.
Have been using bit comet past few hours (mp3) first file 90Mb completed 4 hours ago, current d/l 300Mb started about 2 hours ago, average dl = 35kb, ul = 20kb. (Torrent used for first time ever today, though often used limewire no problems, even at 60 to 80 kb d/l). Am on premier account, £21.99 pcm, current month useage = 1.25gb.
Any ideas why a few tens of kb on my 2mb connection?
Thanks, robinh
4 REPLIES
N/A

Hi robinh,

OK lets just clarify something here, its called a 2Meg product for marketing or ease of describing the service too non technical people. But actually this is some what misleading IMO because nobody or almost nobody ever gets a full precise 2megs. 2Megs is the services maximum THEORETICAL speed but your true speed will be lower because it is a TCP/IP connection.

A TCP/IP service is a connection orientated type of service and so incurrs a small overhead which ensures the quality of the data connection and that the data sent is the data received. My typical speed on my 2meg service varies quite a bit from at worst about 1,500 when conditions are bad to 1,998 when cnditions are good.

**Your slow speeds could be down to the type of application you are using i.e. P2P this is quite common so I have heard. Bit Torrent or Bit Comet one of those kinds of large file sharing programs allows for the downloading of past TV programs or DVD quality movies which are typically several hundred megs or even a couple of Gigs if its a recent high quality block buster.

**Speeds vary due to a) time of day b) noise levels on your phone line c) general internet traffic i.e. peak or off peak d) type of service your using e) how many other users are online at the same time as you are i.e. its a contended service you are using i.e. your sharing your connection services with others f) wheather the file/s being transferred are coming from a local server not far away from you geographically here in the UK or are coming from a source server say in the USA or Japan etc. YES! this will make some difference in terms of how many networks or internet links the data has to travel across,etc,etc. So there ARE alot of factors involved here its NOT simple at all.

Ivan
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks for the guidance Ivan.
I do understand this type of file downloading can be BIG!
What puzzles me is
1) 35kb d/l, 20kb u/l should be within my 'upto' 2Mb connection to handle without dramatic speed reduction? Yes, i realise that using this can slow things up, but 32Kb on a speedtest last night?
2)Shutting down bt then gave me upto 1.5Mb f9 test results, proving the slowing up caused by bt?
3)This morning, speed test back at around (the usual) 1.8mb, even WITH bt running. Dis-proving (2)?
Unless, as you say, time of day, contention etc all came into play last night. Be interesting to see what happens in the future. OR, the very nature of bt causes problems I do not understand. After all, I am still a novice as regards internet and broadband.
I have since raised a ticket asking if I am being 'capped'?

BTW, I still have not asked f9 for my DOWNGRADE to 1Mb (reference my other postings you have helped me with), as lately, the loss of data has been quite tolerable on my 2MB connection. BUT, I sometimes lose connection (data led out) even with a sig/noise of 18db.

Also, I wonder, as BTW only guarantee a speed of less than 20% of your connection, as being a fault, would this be 20% of your ORIGINAL package, or 20% of UPGRADED package? Just a thought, as in 2003 I subscribed to adsl500, which had free upgrade a year or so ago to upto 2Mb.So, is my minimum 100kB or 400Kb?
Thanks again, robinh
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Well, just reading into the useage policy, looks like what I experienced is probably correct. Sorry if I am wasting your time. (Just look at my signature!!!)
What did (and still puzzles me) is that for a long time (on and off) I have used other p2p without experiencing such dramatic speed reductions.
robinh
N/A

Hi Guys,

All I can tell you is that I've read alot of past postings here in the F9 forums & else where on the internet about file sharing programs and without question they all say the same thing. Thats is P2P & file sharing applications all slow down connection speed, dont ask me why this is the case as I dont know.

This isnt something I have much knowledge of as I dont use P2P myself, P2P holds no interest for me personally although I know its extremely popular and I know the big music companies hate them & have repeatedly tried to prevent or stop there use.

Ivan