cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKY+

N/A

SKY+

I'm not a Sky user, but I would imagine a Sky+ box requires at least a dual LNB, and if you then want to add a further box, you'd need a quad LNB (leaving one LNB unused). Satellite LNBs are not "passive" like traditional aerials -- the "box" has to send a current to the LNB.

As "acarr" says, you'll need a viewing card for you old box, or you'll only be able to receive free-to-view services. But that includes all the BBC's services, so what more could you need!
13 REPLIES
N/A

SKY+

I remember something similar being posted a few months ago, but heres my question.

I have just purchased SKY+ set top box direct from SKY, purley because they have removed the monthly subscription cost and the installation cost was only £1 as i booked it via the net.

Once the engineer has connected the new SKY+ box and installed the new dish, how would i go about installing my old digi box in another room ??

Another question, will the TV LINK magic eye work on the SKY+ system ??

Thanks
Andy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

SKY+

I don't know about the Sky+ box, but most other non+ boxes (Panasonic for instance) have a co-ax out connector so you can use two TV's with the same box (both need to be seeing the same channel though, but useful if you want to watch in bed.

Whether this would allow you to send a signal from a Sky+ box to another Sky box might be worth investigating.

Failing that you can get a Y co-ax connector (Sky sneakily use the screw type, or they do on the Panasonic) which should allow you to run another aerial lead to the other sky box, It's probably the cheapest way to find out, a Y connector will only be a couple of quid, and a short length of cable might not cost you anything if you've got a piece laying around, remember it's the solid core type though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

SKY+

The problem here is that you need a second card for the second sky unit.

Sky currently love the digital system for this, as they are able to charge you again for the second card. This costs half you subscription cost again per month.

As for the installation aspects, I am unsure if you get a new LMB with dual-outputs, or they split the existing cable.

As for the TV-link. I do beleive the codes are different on the remotes, however, it should work fine (so I have been told).
N/A

SKY+

Andy / thefoxes

I have Sky+ and the old box as a second box.

Just to confirm what acarr and task have said:

The Sky+ install kit supplied has a dual LNB - Sky+ uses 2 of the connectors. To connect your 'old' Sky box you'll need a Quad LNB. You can pay Sky about 50 quid when they install your Sky+ box to wire up you're old box as well (or you could try talking really nicely to the engineer Wink ).

As to viewing cards... you're existing card is used for Sky+. You can use you're old box without a viewing card to get the free to air channels (although this excludes ITV, Ch 4 and Ch 5) or pay about a tenner a month to Sky to duplicate the subscription on your original viewing card.

TV Link works fine. Note that Sky+ and ordinary Sky handsets use different codes, so a Sky+ handset won't work your old box.

Neil
N/A

SKY+

thanks for all of your help... !!
N/A

Re: SKY+

I have just purchased SKY+ set top box direct from SKY, purley because they have removed the monthly subscription cost

Are you saying you can get Sky for £1 up front and NO monthly charge?
N/A

Re: SKY+

I have just purchased SKY+ set top box direct from SKY, purley because they have removed the monthly subscription cost

Are you saying you can get Sky for £1 up front and NO monthly charge?

plus £199 for the set top box, and you must already be subscribed to one of the premium packages.
Community Veteran

SKY+

As you already have Sky+ you will already have a dual LNB, you will need a quad unit to allow the additional digibox (they dont come with 3 outputs). Otherwise you will need an additonal dish.

Chris
N/A

SKY+

Well i have now had SKY + installed last week.

The new LNB is a "quad" one, meaing i can connect a further 2 digi boxes.

I have re-installed my old digi box in my daughters room, but as i have not taken out another subscription i can only view a few channels.

Unfortunately i can not receive ITV, ITV2, CH4, CH5 - these were the channels along with the BBC that i wanted.

The only way around this without subscribing is to get hold of one of the new sky view cards (the card with a drawing a house on it).

Can anyone help me out on this, has anyone got one of these cards that they no longer need ??

Thanks in advance

Andy
Community Veteran

SKY+

Did it cost anything to get the quad LNB installed?

you should be able to recieve the free channels by calling the number in the telephone numbers menu, they will send you a free to view only card. I'll have a look through when I stick the telly on later.

Chris
N/A

SKY+

I am currently in a fight with the BBC and BSkyB over this issue, because they have gone back on a firm gurentee that they will offer cards for use in areas that have very poor or no TV coverage.

Since the swap to the new scard, people are pretty stuffed.

There are a few tricks going around, however, they only apply to people that have previously subscribe (IE, not longer do) and at least have access to the subscription property.

Some council figures have now gotten involved here, so I will report back if I hear anything.
N/A

SKY+

Did it cost anything to get the quad LNB installed?

you should be able to recieve the free channels by calling the number in the telephone numbers menu, they will send you a free to view only card. I'll have a look through when I stick the telly on later.

Chris

The LNB did not cost any extra, the engineer just installed it as a matter of course.

Sky no longer issue the free to view card, i rang them today !!
N/A

SKY+

The Free-to-View "Solus" cards used to be paid for by the BBC, Channel 4, and five (the ITV companies took a free ride), with the BBC paying the vast majority (maybe as much as 80%, I can't remember exactly) and the others splitting the difference. The scheme cost them £14m per year. The BBC has gone "Free-to-Air", which means any set top box can be used, not just Sky ones, and viewing cards are no longer needed for reception of BBC services, so the BBC has withdrawn from the "Solus" card scheme. The other broadcasters have not (so far) been prepared to pick up the tab.